cat licked dettol off paws

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have an 8 year old cat and two weeks ago I sprayed the work top with dettol , she jumped up and stood in the dettol before I could wipe it off. I immediately rinsed her paws best i could but she ran off and licked her paws. Since then she has had diarrhoea , she is still eating her food and she drinks water , her third eyelids show on and off too .
I know now that dettol is toxic to cats , would she have been more seriously ill by now or is this serious and killing her slowly :( ?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call a vet and ask them? Because she's still showing signs of distress, I would take her to the vet and have them run blood and urine tests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would have to be tomorrow now as its not classed as an emergency apparently .

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you call a vet and ask them? Because she's still showing signs of distress, I would take her to the vet and have them run blood and urine tests.
I've been monitoring her and noticed today she hasn't been in the litter tray at all so could this be a sign she is improving ?

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I probably panicked , because I've looked in her litter tray and there is nothing and I changed that 10 hours ago, she also uses the gravel in the garden to do her business and I've just looked and she has used it and not being gross but it is not diarrhoea ,I think this is a good sign ?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been monitoring her and noticed today she hasn't been in the litter tray at all so could this be a sign she is improving ?
I couldn't tell you. But if she vomits or becomes lethargic, I would bring her down to the emergency vet. Otherwise, if the vet isn't concerned, it can probably wait a day. But I would still sleep better knowing that her liver and kidney values are still in good shape. You might also ask that she is given subcutaneous fluids. Diarrhea is dehydrating. Plus the fluids will help flush her kidneys.

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I couldn't tell you. But if she vomits or becomes lethargic, I would bring her down to the emergency vet. Otherwise, if the vet isn't concerned, it can probably wait a day. But I would still sleep better knowing that her liver and kidney values are still in good shape. You might also ask that she is given subcutaneous fluids. Diarrhea is dehydrating. Plus the fluids will help flush her kidneys.
She hasn't been vomiting , I have posted above and update, but tomorrow I am going to call the vet and see what they say . Thank you so much for your reply I do appreciate it .
This just shows how dangerous household cleaners are to our pets . I have changed the washing detergent too as that was dettol , I can't risk her being poorly .

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is an update, I called the vet , they said if she was poisoned she'd be throthing at the mouth and vomiting , the vet is calling me tomorrow .

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is true. She should not be having symptoms this much later unless it damaged something inside. Hopefully, the improving diarrhea is a good sign, I take it she IS urinating though? When you said she hadn't gone at all, that was worrisome. Make sure she is urinating, drinking plenty to flush out her body, and resting. The poison may have lowered her resistance and she picked up an illness that would explain the third eyelid.

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is true. She should not be having symptoms this much later unless it damaged something inside. Hopefully, the improving diarrhea is a good sign, I take it she IS urinating though? When you said she hadn't gone at all, that was worrisome. Make sure she is urinating, drinking plenty to flush out her body, and resting. The poison may have lowered her resistance and she picked up an illness that would explain the third eyelid.
Hi, Yes urinating fine, drinking water she has always loved water . No blood in either urine or poop , the nurse asked me on the phone and I said no blood and she said that is a good sign, so I have felt happier to day . She's just eaten some cooked pork and she is lying next to me sleeping seems very happy .

TinkerandWellington1213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I spoke the the vet today and she said Dettol poisoning would not cause diarrhoea and she believes Tinker may have eaten something while out in the garden and recommends that I feed her boiled chicken tuna in water for a few days to see how she is .
She said to not use Dettol products as they are toxic to cats but the cat would have to ingest a lot of it to cause serious damage , she says bleach is the best cleaner to use in the house and kills germs and viruses .