Cat Lethargic and Sneezing.

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is lethargic w/ a runny nose, mildly watery eyes, and an occasional sniffle/sneeze. I can’t get her to a vet until the day after tomorrow.

It started today. She sneezed once yesterday but it’s happened a few more times. Is this situation more urgent than that, you think? I’d love to get her to the vet tomorrow, but I’m working all day and I can’t see myself getting off work early. I can get an appointment Tuesday, but the lethargy is scaring me. She doesn’t want to be touched right now and is just resting. She slow to eat but she is eating. Or at least she was eating a few hours ago. My dad may be able to take her, but for personal reasons, I don’t really trust him to make those decisions or to relay the vet’s info to me properly. I’d rather be in the room to hear it for myself.
But does this sound very serious? Too serious to wait until Tuesday (today being Sunday)?

I should add she’s about a year and a half old, I think. All this started today other than the couple of sneezes I heard from her yesterday. Google says it could either be an upper respiratory infection, which she has had before, or a common cold. But I don’t know. I worry about her so I want her to be okay and not in any pain.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely try to keep her hydrated, perhaps with a blend of unflavored Pedialyte and beef broth. For food, you can try adding L-lysine to Gerber stage 2 baby food, typically beef, chicken or ham. I am hoping that it is just a bad cold or flu.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely try to keep her hydrated, perhaps with a blend of unflavored Pedialyte and beef broth. For food, you can try adding L-lysine to Gerber stage 2 baby food, typically beef, chicken or ham. I am hoping that it is just a bad cold or flu.
I have one other cat who is perfectly fine. Would those things be okay for him to eat? He may want to sample it himself lol

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was me, I would get her seen tomorrow. What concerns me is the lethargy.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have one other cat who is perfectly fine. Would those things be okay for him to eat? He may want to sample it himself lol
Yes, there's no harm in your other cat eating the meat baby food. Just be sure it does not have any seasonings in it but rather meat and broth only. Can you ask to be put on a waiting list in case the vet has a cancellation?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would either get your dad to take her tomorrow or I would call off or go to work a half day so I could take my cat to the vet. The lethargy is worrisome.
How is her bathroom usage? (Has her urine output been good)
How is her drinking?

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would either get your dad to take her tomorrow or I would call off or go to work a half day so I could take my cat to the vet. The lethargy is worrisome.
How is her bathroom usage? (Has her urine output been good)
How is her drinking?
I guess I’ll see if my dad will take her. I’ve been at work so I haven’t been able to monitor her. I have a Ring camera in my room but the few times I looked she was just asleep on her cat tree. So I can’t speak for her litter box habits. I can say that she seems to have more energy tonight! She is walking around both floors of the house and ate some wet food that I put down! She’s still got watery eyes and sneezing though.

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it was me, I would get her seen tomorrow. What concerns me is the lethargy.
she seems to have more energy tonight! She is walking around both floors of the house and ate some wet food that I put down! She’s still got watery eyes and sneezing though.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I’ll see if my dad will take her. I’ve been at work so I haven’t been able to monitor her. I have a Ring camera in my room but the few times I looked she was just asleep on her cat tree. So I can’t speak for her litter box habits. I can say that she seems to have more energy tonight! She is walking around both floors of the house and ate some wet food that I put down! She’s still got watery eyes and sneezing though.
Whatever you decide to do either tomorrow or Tuesday please keep us posted.
I hope she feels better as soon as possible. It's always hard seeing our fur babies not feeling well.

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whatever you decide to do either tomorrow or Tuesday please keep us posted.
I hope she feels better as soon as possible. It's always hard seeing our fur babies not feeling well.
The vet believes she has a URI. She gave her an antibiotic shot called Convenia or something like that. That was Tuesday. She’s still a little sniffly and sneezy but she seems to be doing better!