Cat leaves urine drops everywhere, sometimes entire urine pools.

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My adopted cat Buffy has had UTI/struvite stone problems since I have gotten her. I left a message on the forums before asking for advice because she had blood in her urine but that problem has been solved. They did an echo, changed to a strict diet, checked her urine a few times. She has struvite stones. After a few weeks of meloxidyl and certain pills, the blood was gone.

Now all of the sudden, she has started to let her urine flow. She used to go onto the litterbox way too many times, even when nothing would come out, it's always been her thing, going into the litterbox all the time, but now she does that less but now the urine is all over the house. Sometimes she leaves drops while she walks, other times she sits somewhere and just let's it flow into a whole urine pool. She even did that on my watercolor paper lol.

Why is this? It has happened before, like about 2 times before in the 5 years I have had her. It just stopped after a few days or a week. She has always had urinary issues, blood drops now and then. Always neurotic tendencies about the litter box. Now all of the sudden she has been losing urine and it's been a few weeks now. Is this something that can be solved? It's hard to keep the house clean and my boyfriend is getting fed up with it. I mean, I'll deal with it, but it's getting frustrating.

Sidenote: she did ALWAYS have the problem of letting her urine flow while napping/sleeping/laying somewhere. She's always done that, only very short periods of times has she not done that, and that was always easy to solve by just putting thick blankets on the places she'd sleep. But now she even does it while sitting somewhere or walking around.

Last edited:

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I can't say if anything is medically wrong (I'd ask the vet about these symptoms), you can always try kitty diapers to keep the pee contained. However, you'll have to check/change the diaper multiple times a day and wipe her off so she doesn't smell like pee. It'll almost be like having a real child (good practice for your bf, lol).
This is hopefully just a temporary solution until you find out if there is something going on medically (outside of what you've already provided for us).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there might be some medication that would help with this. With her history it may be another UTI because that is a major symptom. she may need an antibiotic. Kitty diapers would be an option until you can figure it out, she will have to have them off and contained in one room if you go anywhere. Some place you can put lots of pee pads. I feel for you, this is horrible, and will pray you find a solution, there usually is one! There are supplements available to that help with forming stones, you might ask your vet if you can try one (AMAZON). Get a good cat urine ENZYME cleaner to help with the urine, it actually destroys urine, not just cleans/masks it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I can't say if anything is medically wrong (I'd ask the vet about these symptoms), you can always try kitty diapers to keep the pee contained. However, you'll have to check/change the diaper multiple times a day and wipe her off so she doesn't smell like pee. It'll almost be like having a real child (good practice for your bf, lol).
This is hopefully just a temporary solution until you find out if there is something going on medically (outside of what you've already provided for us).
I will look into the diaper idea. The pictures of cats wearing them look incredibly cute haha. Thank you for your advice.

Yeah, there might be some medication that would help with this. With her history it may be another UTI because that is a major symptom. she may need an antibiotic. Kitty diapers would be an option until you can figure it out, she will have to have them off and contained in one room if you go anywhere. Some place you can put lots of pee pads. I feel for you, this is horrible, and will pray you find a solution, there usually is one! There are supplements available to that help with forming stones, you might ask your vet if you can try one (AMAZON). Get a good cat urine ENZYME cleaner to help with the urine, it actually destroys urine, not just cleans/masks it.
I think she might have chronic UTI, if that is even a thing (?), which also makes it easier for her to keep developing these crystals/stones. I just can't remember a time where she didn't have issues in terms of her health and/or behaviour related to urinary. I just don't get how she can go from just letting her pee flow during sleep to how it is now. Yes, I indeed will look into the diaper idea. I never heard of enzyme cleaner, will look into that! Thank you so much for your advice and incredibly kind message.

I called the vet. I hope they can give me some medication. Usually they just test the urine over and over again and they tell me things I already know. I feels like an easy way for them to get money, while I don't earn much during lockdown right now. They will call me back later today. Hope I get can some pills or something for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What exactly did the vet find in the echo they did before on Buffy? I wonder if she has inflammation in the bladder that is attributing to her issues. Inflammation can cause pain and litter box avoidance, and can also lead to UTIs. Many times crystals also contribute to bladder irritation and inflammation. Allowing her urine to flow might be a 'structural' issue associated with the bladder inflammation, but could simply be because peeing is so painful that she is avoiding the litterbox completely. Cats typically associate the pain with the litter box, not the act of peeing.

Has the vet ever suggested she might have cystitis? Cystitis in Cats | PetCareRx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. What exactly did the vet find in the echo they did before on Buffy? I wonder if she has inflammation in the bladder that is attributing to her issues. Inflammation can cause pain and litter box avoidance, and can also lead to UTIs. Many times crystals also contribute to bladder irritation and inflammation. Allowing her urine to flow might be a 'structural' issue associate with the bladder inflammation, but could simply be because peeing is so painful that she is avoiding the litterbox completely. Cats typically associate the pain with the litter box, not the act of peeing.

Has the vet ever suggested she might have cystitis? Cystitis in Cats | PetCareRx
They haven't suggested cystitis yet, but I am going to look into it and mention it to them. They saw crystals in her urine, and from the urine check they know it's struvite. She's now on a strict urinary s/o diet. I had to give her meloxidyl and certain pills that allows her muscles to relax or something. The blood was gone then. That's like 1,5 months ago now. Thank you for your reply!