Cat leaves dead things and FOLIAGE on porch?

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, Don't know if anyone has some kitty psychology insight for this one, but I sure hope so! We took in a stray cat a year and 1/2 ago and he's now an indoor-outdoor cat. He loves to kill poor, innocent creatures and leave them on our doormat, and from what I hear this is to make us pleased and happy (it doesn't, but I pretend for his sake). However, now he is also leaving LEAVES along with the dead thing. At first I thought it was a fluke...that when he clobbered and killed the poor creature, some leaves got in the wreckage and just happened to end up on our doormat along with the....schrapnel. But this is the third time that he has left us a severed head AND a pile of leaves. And it's a fairly neat pile of leaves...

I'm baffled. Any thoughts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he thinks you need a side serving of veggies with your main course of mouse?

Kitties are funny. No telling why they do these things.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our barn cats did this all the time. It would be a strange day if I walked outside and didn't see the remains of some critter- the choicest pieces in their opinions, I'm sure!
They are providing for you like their own family, which you are!

Just thank them for the treat and throw it away when they aren't looking.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is burying it to make "sure" it is safe until you find it...

I have a cat who buries his wet food to save it for later, or when he is done with it. I have to watch for anything within his reach - toys, blankets, clothes, he will toss anything over the plate to cover the food...

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gifts!!! He is making sure you are getting well-fed!!!LOL

When Da Lip still went out, he would leave his gifts lined up in the tractor bucket. I would just tell him he was a great, brave hunter and run the tractor to the manure pile and dispose of the dead rodents.

missamy018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw my cat Murphy in action this morning with leaves AND a chipmunk in his mouth! I always go to see if there's any chance of saving whatever innocent critter he has, and it looked like he had just snatched it up from a hiding spot and grabbed the leaves and weeds at the same time. Brought it straight to the porch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah you guys must be right! He is hiding the present for us! Although, I was thinking he wanted us to have a well-balanced meal complete with veggies.
I came home from work today to a dead bird...no leaves this time. I always cringe because I think of the poor rodent and bird families who are losing relatives, but when he comes up, I try really hard to be "appreciative." He's such a goofball, this cat of ours.

Thanks for your help trying to uncover the leaf mystery!