Cat leaks faeces when having stomach brushed

lucky83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I turn my cat on her back to have her stomach brushed watery faeces leaks out of her anus...not a huge amount but enough so I sometimes get it on my clothes...
I'm not squashing her stomach - today it was just her chest when I noticed ...
I've never experienced this with another cat...wondering if it was common...also wondering if it is a health issue - she seem healthy enough (although due a worming tablet) ....I keep meaning to ask the vet at her annual check up and forget!!!! until she does it again...
(Actually it might be a ploy to avoid the worming tablet - I usually groom her before the tablet - obviously if she does this I put her down to let her clean herself up and then the tablet is forgotten...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucky83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness - Thank you - I think that is what it is and she is doing it because she is annoyed with me!
I didn't know cats had anal glands - especially not female ones...
One more question - the fluid is darkish brown and has texture - like very very fine porrage oats - is that normal?
Also what is the best solution - do I try and catch it in a tissue or what (it is really smelly)
I can't believe none of my other cats have done this - and I have annoyed them (long haired and knotty, tablets feeding, bathing fighting wounds...)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick call to your vet is in order here, it may be that the glands need expressed.
It may not be something that she does on purpose, but rather it may be happening because of the position you placed her in to brush.

I can't answer your other questions as I have never had a cat with anal glad problems.

lucky83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks - at least now I know what it is ...
And when I googled it said that they can empty them when scared or excited ...
A visit to the vet might be in order anyway - she has (another) wound on her tail (probably from fighting -or rather running away ....) - not infected yet but will be keepng an eye on it...
Thanks again...

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The anal glands should be expressed with every normal bowel movement. If the cat has loose stools, that can prevent them from being properly expressed from what I've read, so something to look for.

I've had scared and definitely very excited kitties, and never had them express their glands like that. I believe a healthy anal gland should release a clear to slightly yellowish watery substance, and if its thickened and brown its likely due to an impacted anal gland. The smell either way would be very strong, more than regular feces.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
my cat used to need regular expressing (my vet taught me how), until I switched to higher quality food. He's been clean ever since!

lucky83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok - I'll give it a day or so (keeping an eye on her tail) and then either mention it when she is there or pop into have a chat...
Food wise she is quite fussy....she eats tinned cat food (with a bowl of dry crunchies available - for her teeth mainly) - but she won't eat Whiskas or Felix...just KiteKat or Butchers classic - I have to get both and change every few days....she also gets food from us -like the trimmings off chicken carcasses, raw beef bits etc...at the moment she also catches and eats a bird more or less every day ...usually just leaves the birds guts and a few feathers (yuck) ...
It is hard to see what her bowel movements are like - she goes outside and won't use a tray anymore - if locked in (eg firework night) she will get really distressed (running around miaowing pitifully) before eventually using her tray...she will quite happily pee in it though...
My last cat who lived to at least 16 (an ex stray- her age was estimated to be betwen 6 and 8 when I adopted her) ate Butcher's classic and the crunchies -only difference was she was long haired and especially when older had Kitty Malt hairball stuff every day - which I would think would have softened things - and she never did it...and she was a really nervous cat - had valium from the vet to travel in a cat carrier - she tended to hyperventilate otherwise...very scary...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anal gland smell is VERY strong. If you smelled something like rotten eggs, or skunk (it sounds like your from the UK and may not have smelled one of those), then it is most likely a leakage from her anal glands.

I had a boy who "expressed" himself one time when I gently patted him on his rear to get him off my lap. Oh boy I knew exactly what it was when I smelled it, and I hadn't smelled it before. If they are really impacted, any subtle movement can cause it to happen.

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That definitely sounds like anal glands! If I fall behind on Z's gland expressions, she tends to accidentally release them...usually while she is working herself up into an altered mental state while furiously kneading/making biscuits on my lap. The smell is horrifying, ha, nothing at all like doodle.

Normally the fluid is clear or tan, but if they're especially backed-up, they can be muddy in color like doodle. Very watery, extraordinarily vile smellin'.

Now Dora...I've never had to express her glands. Some cats just need the occasional help with it, maybe not as much as dogs, but it happens!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is at the top of my list of things I'm way grateful I've never had any personal experience with.

Lucky, I'm glad you're going to discuss this with your vet. I think I've heard that glands that don't get expressed properly can sometimes become infected, which is nasty all in itself and can cause extreme pain for the kitty. Not at all trying to alarm you, just mentioning it because it stuck in my mind as part of the whole "don't want to go there" scenario.

Best regards! (And I hope you get to the *bottom* of this ASAP.)

AC