Cat - lack of appetite

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old cat cat was attacked by this another cat 2 days ago it did not cause any severe wound just the scratches,so i gave him amoxicillin the vet gave ,and it gave it to him 3 times ,i have to give it to him 2 times/day for 5 days,i have given it to him 3 times (for 1.5 days), but he is not eating well,he is eating 3-4 times as usual but not much,i read it is the common side effect of that amoxicillin, but it would harm him if he does not eat well,how long should i wait before talking to the vet,should i continue with the medication (coz it's an antibiotic ? He eats chicken so should i just blend it and maybe add a bit of milk in it ,he realllly realllllly loves milk,we don't offer him a lot,but it can encourage him to eat more.

There is a chance that he might be sick of him regular food coz he eats some mashed bread in milk like magic,i do not give it to him often ,i just share some of mine. What should i keep in mind or what should i do?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say he’s eating less, how much less? Is he eating half his usual food? One quarter? As long as he’s eating some, it won’t be an issue for him to under eat for a few more days until he’s finished with the antibiotics. You can also call the vet and see what he says. He may prescribe either anti nausea or appetite stimulant medications to get him eating more. Because he’s a kitten, you really shouldn’t feed him people food or table scraps. They shouldn’t be more than a treat anyway. But if you need to get him eating something, boiled chicken will be much better than bread and milk. Your vet may also have a recovery food like Hills A/D which is meant to be highly appealing to get sick cats to eat.

When my Betty had some mystery infection (never found the infection but antibiotics brought her back), she wasn’t eating all her calories. But she ate about half of them with Hills A/D. And then miraculously, when she felt better again, she started turning her nose to the A/D and wanted her old food back.

So I don’t think it’s that he’s bored of his food. Your first instinct is probably right. The antibiotics are likely making him nauseated. So you can ask for additional prescriptions to help with the nausea or you can ask for a more appealing cat food, a recovery food like Hills A/D to help him eat something. And, as long as he’s eating maybe half his food (I’m no vet—ask your vet if you’re unsure if he’s eating too little), I wouldn’t worry too much if he eats less for a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say he’s eating less, how much less? Is he eating half his usual food? One quarter? As long as he’s eating some, it won’t be an issue for him to under eat for a few more days until he’s finished with the antibiotics. You can also call the vet and see what he says. He may prescribe either anti nausea or appetite stimulant medications to get him eating more. Because he’s a kitten, you really shouldn’t feed him people food or table scraps. They shouldn’t be more than a treat anyway. But if you need to get him eating something, boiled chicken will be much better than bread and milk. Your vet may also have a recovery food like Hills A/D which is meant to be highly appealing to get sick cats to eat.

When my Betty had some mystery infection (never found the infection but antibiotics brought her back), she wasn’t eating all her calories. But she ate about half of them with Hills A/D. And then miraculously, when she felt better again, she started turning her nose to the A/D and wanted her old food back.

So I don’t think it’s that he’s bored of his food. Your first instinct is probably right. The antibiotics are likely making him nauseated. So you can ask for additional prescriptions to help with the nausea or you can ask for a more appealing cat food, a recovery food like Hills A/D to help him eat something. And, as long as he’s eating maybe half his food (I’m no vet—ask your vet if you’re unsure if he’s eating too little), I wouldn’t worry too much if he eats less for a few days.
No offense,realllyy but i made it clear i only give him ppl food like treat,to some cat it causes diarrhea but to my cat it doesn't, i do not give him table scraps or ppl food daily,he just really loves it and like i said he eats chicken on a daily basis with supplements. He is not eating like a quarter of what he used to eat, i am afraid the vet services are not very developed here so they might not have that kind of food and i am afraid introducing a new kind of food might cause him diarrhea,but I'll check for sure,i feel like i wanna wait till his medication routine ends to observe more,cos it's not as serious right now,and i don't wanna bombard him with medications as he is really young and this is his first tine taking oral medication (besides deworming) l'll keep an eye on him,i am really thankful for your time and that you shared your advise and experience with me and that u care,it helped a lot,hope your cat is healthy and happy,have a good one!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He could be correlating his regular food with his stomach being bothered by the meds and is therefore not as interested in it right now.

Feeding him often while he is on these meds should help of offset some of the stomach upset. Chicken is fine since he will eat it. And you could always consider a lactose free milk if you need to give him more milk than you normally do, as it is the lactose that is usually the problem when feeding a cat milk. A lot of cats are lactose intolerant, but maybe yours isn't!! If you are buying chicken with bones, you can take the bones to create a bone broth, which many cats love.

And, if you have meat only baby food (no seasonings), most cats love them. It isn't a complete food for cats but will help while he is on the antibiotics. Here we use Gerber Stage 2, Beechnut, or Goya brands.

This TCS article has some other ideas on what might help to keep your cat eating while taking this medication.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles