cat labor taking long. no vet available. please help urgently...

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could find a more secluded spot in your house.  She may not feel comfortable about where they are now and that's why she's trying to find a "safer" spot for them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Find another "secluded" spot inside the house for her. Under no circumstances would I allow her to go outside or take the babies outside. Does this mean closing doors and windows for you? Or locking a cat door?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely agree, do NOT allow her to take them outside, nor should you allow her out.

The only reason a momma cat will want to move her litter is when she is uncomfortable with their location, whether there's either a threat to them or too much commotion and foot traffic.

Mom wants privacy and quiet.

If there is a closet in your home in a room where nobody will be going and disturbing, put it there.

It may not be ideal to you but will be to her, allowing her less stress about the environment and focus more on caring for them.

Some moms will constantly stay with the kids, some do not, but personally, those who do not or you may question their care or lack of, it's best to close her in with them.

If the nest is in a quiet closet or room, just close the door. That will help.

She seems to preoccupied with what you are doing or what's going on around her, not that she doesn't care but is distracted, which is stressful.

Temp-to us, it is hot, but babies need to be kept warm at mom's body temp, 97-99 degrees. Without a heat source they will drop in temp down to room temperature. Unless it is in the 90's in your home, then they need a heating pad on low setting, that covers half of the bottom of their box only, this allows them to scoot away if they get too heated.

I noticed they have long cords. Can you just cut some of that off? Just scissors, leave about an inch of cord.

Are they laying on plastic? If so, please cover it with cloth or a towel.

Babies who nurse will NOT take a bottle. No way. If the babies need supplementing, which I don't think yours do at this point, then it's done with a 1.0 ml syringe. Not that they care for that either but some need it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707 Sarthur2 Sarthur2 K keyes Thank you for all your advice. catwoman707 catwoman707 I've seen people calling you when they need an expert and now i know why :).

The mother seems to be doing fine now. Not moving her kids anymore. I think changing the bedding worked. I have given her an empty room, where nonone goes so i don't think privacy is an issue... i did not let her go outside with or without the babies. I've taken your advice and keep her close to the babies at all times now by keeping the door closed. She is feeding them properly but aftwr every feed, she likes to sit a few feets away and stretch her legs...

I've also put a heating pad near them to keep them warm. I'll cut the cords today and as for the plastic, don’t worry... i clicked that pic when i was changing their bedding and had kept them in a stack of cotton to keep the surface soft and put a plastic sheet so that the cotton doesn't get into their nose. Their bed is made of towels...

I'm no longer trying to feed them now as I've been observing that the mom cat feeds them every 2 hours... so all in all, things seem to be going okay as pf now... also, i got a vet to check on the kids and the mother... the kids seem to be in food health so I'm also not worried now :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, everything sounds wonderful! You're doing a fine job! :)

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Will keep you all posted :)

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Will keep updating on their status!

Btw... catwoman707 catwoman707 @sarthur2 I have heard that many white cats are deaf... and one of the kittens is pure white. is there any way to test it?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the kind compliment!

The gene that causes coat color to be white is also linked to causing deafness, yes.

It does not mean 100% are deaf.

Once they are older and eye color changes from blue to whatever they will be for life, also helps determine the chance of deafness.

Regarding only pure white cats-

Those with eye color other than blue have a 10-20% increased chance of deafness.

Blue eye color has 60-80% chance of deafness.

One blue eye (bi-color) has a 30-40% chance. Often with bi-colored eyes, the cat is only deaf on the side of the blue eye, and will have hearing in the other side.

There's nothing to fear with deafness if he turns out to be, it's all they know and live perfectly normal lives.

A couple of things to be aware of though, so selecting suitable responsible adopters is critical.

MUST always be indoor only. (obvious reasons) unable to hear cars, dogs, etc., greatly increased chance of ear/nose cancer as they lack the pigment skin protection, and also blue eyed will be unable to tolerate bright sunlight. They also are not as good in dark as other cats are.

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So just an update... my kittens are doing good. They've opened their eyes finally! It's cuteness overload here... and I've found a good way to keep the mother from staying away. since it was a roadside cat, the doctor said she had some skin issues causing hair loss... so she gave me a spray to put on her once every 3 days. When i put the spray on her for the first time, she absolutely hated it. Even though it's clearly going her good, she hates it and would run to her kittens as it's a concealed area... so now whenever i see her away from them for long, i just need to open the cap of the spray bottle and she runs to them and wouldn't come out for at least an hour... i hate to keep her confined like this but the kittens need her right now. She can do whatever she wants after they are weaned and she is spayed!