cat kneading

teagranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has a lovely Main Coon look-a-like beauty.  She is a lovely cat who only occasionally jumps on the counter. lol

She loves to cuddle and sit on your lap but has a habit of kneading, with claws out, when ever she jumps up she insists on purring as loudly as she can and vigorously kneading saying how content she is. I suggested to my friend she put a blanket on her lap then the kneading is not a problem but now during the summer a blanket is not practical.

Has anyone been successful in teaching a cat not to knead?   I had thought she would outgrow the behavior as she got older but she is over two now and still does it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt a person can teach a cat not to knead.. they're hardwired for it.

I suggest she trim the cat's claws so they're not as sharp. If a blanket is too hot, how about an old dish towel or something to cover that part of the skin?

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, it's basically in a cat's genetic makeup to knead. It's something they learn very early in kittenhood.

Dish towel seems like a good idea, but I would agree with the suggestion to trim the cat's nails. They won't be that bad that way. Keep on it perhaps once a week, depending on how fast the nails grow.