cat keeps waking me up what to do ?

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For a long time, I have been locking my cat in a room when I go to sleep.
I don't like her sleeping on my bed, cause she will wake me up in different ways, plus I don't really want fur all over my covers.

I'd prefer to just close the door to my room & let her roam the house. Problem with that is she will just sit outside my door & try to get in all night. Amazingly she always succeeds!!
Even though she can't turn the door knob, she just keeps trying & trying & somehow she gets the door open.

Of course the non stop door banging & her eventually getting in and jumping
ontop of me always wakes me up.

I'm wondering if there's anyway I can get her to stop. I will try to put something in front of the door next time, so she for sure can't get in. But
she still might at least try all night to get in, & I won't sleep so good with the nonstop banging all night..

Any ideas how to stop this ?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by newcat19

Even though she can't turn the door knob, she just keeps trying & trying & somehow she gets the door open.
Houses settle, when this happens it can make doors hang a bit unevenly and not catch properly. The result is a door that can be popped open without using the doorknob. The only way to fix that is to rehang the door.

IMO, I'd just leave the door open and get used to her. She only wants to be near you. After enough time and before bed routine between you two (play/meal or whatever you want to make it) it should signal to her that it's time to wind down and go to bed. She should find somewhere to tuck in and sleep.

I have 7 house cats. They're all allowed in the bedroom and all sleep there.
I usually have one over on the dresser and one on the ceder chest by the bed. But sometimes we end up with them all in bed with us.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My cat sleeps with me every night. And yes, she defiantly wakes me up every night, lol. I just got use to it.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She loves you and wants to be with you. Imagine if you had to sleep in a locked room away from the one you love
Just keep a sticky roller by your bed to get rid of the excess hair.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, especially the part about adding bed time routine, this is very important.

Cats thrive on routine. Establish an interactive Game Time with her every night at the same time. Soon she will come to expect this time with you.

When she sees you turn off the computer and brush your teeth, or whatever, she will know it's HER time with you.

This will go a long way toward making her feel more content and settled. Plus after some vigorous games, she will be tired and ready to curl up and go to sleep.

Plus, doing this, you will develop a deep bond with her, and bring out her personality in ways you might never have imagined.

In addition, the mental and physical stimulation she will get from this nightly activity with you will keep her going during the times you aren't home.

The more you play with your cat, the more she will play by herself.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could care less if the cats are in the bed with me, but the DH doesn't like all the cat hair on the sheets, so we've had to train our girls to stay off the bed as much as possible. Get her her own bed and place it beside your bed. Before bedtime, put her in the bed, brush her and give her a treat, then turn the light off and go to sleep. Whenever she gets up on the bed, pick her up and gently put her back in her bed. Pet her and tell her she's such a good girl, then get back in your bed. Yes, it will take TIME to train her and for her to catch on, but eventually she'll learn that she has her own space and you have yours. Don't get mad at her for being in the bed with you and don't get impatient, just gently and lovingly remove her to her bed. My girls now wait until after the alarm clock goes off to jump in bed with me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

The more you play with your cat, the more she will play by herself.
Really? It just makes some of mine go nap!

I've personally adjusted to cat hair on the top blanket... there's cat hair everywhere else in the house and it doesn't hurt anything. (there's also a lot of my hair around the house, that's arguably more trouble)
To defur my comforter between washings I just used the vacuum cleaner's brush attachment on the hose. It doesn't get every bit of fur off, but then that's a futile job in this house.

Regularly grooming your cat will help keep the amount of shedded fur down, too.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I could care less if the cats are in the bed with me, but the DH doesn't like all the cat hair on the sheets, so we've had to train our girls to stay off the bed as much as possible. Get her her own bed and place it beside your bed. Before bedtime, put her in the bed, brush her and give her a treat, then turn the light off and go to sleep. Whenever she gets up on the bed, pick her up and gently put her back in her bed. Pet her and tell her she's such a good girl, then get back in your bed. Yes, it will take TIME to train her and for her to catch on, but eventually she'll learn that she has her own space and you have yours. Don't get mad at her for being in the bed with you and don't get impatient, just gently and lovingly remove her to her bed. My girls now wait until after the alarm clock goes off to jump in bed with me.
Terrific advice! I'll only add, though you may have meant this, have the kitty bed at the same level as your bed, so she can see you.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Really? It just makes some of mine go nap!

Well......I didn't mean right then.
I meant, in general.

A cat kept mentally stimulated and physically active with daily human interaction will continue to be mentally stimulated and physically active when she is not receiving human attention too.

Playing with her develops her imagination and sense of fun.

Meaning, if you play with her every day, when you want to do something else, she is more likely to find her own amusements, so you can do that something else.

My cats for example...if I am sick or extra busy for a week or so, and they miss out on nightly Games, will start to get lazy. They won't play together as much, and I am less likely to find their favorite toys scattered about when I get home.

And when I feel better, or my schedule slackens, and I again have the time/ability to do nightly Games, they are sometimes slow to get back into it, it can take a few days before they get back up to their normal interest and activity level with me.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way...I have learned a little short cut. Some nights I am really tired. I get home late, and all I want to do is lie on the couch and read. But of course the cats come first!

I have found that if I do get down on the floor and start the Games, get them moving, if I stop playing with them earlier than normal, they often will just carry on, playing with each other instead.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

A cat kept mentally stimulated and physically active with daily human interaction will continue to be mentally stimulated and physically active when she is not receiving human attention too.
Well, I also have three kittens. They keep the adult male cats occupied.
Even Sho, who never really has played much, enjoys wrestling with a kitten.

I wonder if the OP's cat is an only cat? If so, locking her out at night is pretty unfair - that would mean she's completely alone.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah yesssss...kittens!

My cats are all adults, and the oldest, Tolly is the most active of them all. Tolly is 11 years old and takes phenobarbital, but he still plays and plays and plays.

Mazy is still very active, and loves to play but has slowed down a tad in this past year, much to my dismay. She has trouble with weight control, when she doesn't run around enough.

Jennie....takes a bulldozer to get her moving, but once I do, she plays well.

Oops, off topic, my apologies to the OP.

I got the impression that her cat is an only, hope the OP comes back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Well, I also have three kittens. They keep the adult male cats occupied.
Even Sho, who never really has played much, enjoys wrestling with a kitten.

I wonder if the OP's cat is an only cat? If so, locking her out at night is pretty unfair - that would mean she's completely alone.
yes I have only 1 cat

My job requires alot of thinking & I have to get a good nights sleep or I won't
be able to perform well. I just can't have her disturbing my sleep

Let me say I take very good care of my cat. Get her the highest quality food, play with her, have a good 12 + toys, & I get that you all love cats.

Having said that your all alittle too ... whats the word?
I mean my dad grew up on a farm & he thinks my cat is spoiled rotten.

I'm going to put a chair in front of the door tonight so she can't get in & see
if she gives up on trying to open it.
No worries my cat gets lots of love, she's sleeping on my lap as I write this.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone means to imply that you don't love your cat. It's just that she is trying to get into your room because she is lonely.

One thing I learned with my cat is that she eventually got onto my sleeping schedule. I understand that you need your good night's sleep, but if you can let your cat in your room at night she will eventually get in tune with YOUR sleeping habits. If you continue to lock her out, she may never stop trying to get in. Think of it as having a baby - they need some time before they are able to sleep through the night.

When I adopted Holland as a kitten, she would wake me up at 3:00 every morning because she wanted to play. I ignored her. Now, she's still young but she sleeps on the same schedule that I do.

Honestly, if you want her to stop waking you up at night, locking her out of your room probably won't work. She wants to be with you, and if you let her she will eventually sleep when you sleep. Of course there's going to have to be an adjustment period, but if you keep locking her out I'm afraid she will continue her current behavior.