Cat Keeps Vomiting

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive got a 9 month old cat who despite trying so hard to stop, got pregnant and gave birth to three healthy babies 1 month ago.
Shes currently nursing, and just recently she stopped using the litter box, pees on every soft spot she could find, although i admit i did change the location of the litterbox. Then two days later she vomitted all around my room a clear liquid. I ignored it as maybe shes ate something bad but she kept vomiting brownish liquid again and again until i had to take her to the vet. The vet checked her temperature she had a slight fever, but he said shes fine after a checkup that its not uti and its prolly stress. He gave her an anti stress and some multivitamins..

but she vomited like 5 times again and then we took her to another vet, he said its indigestivity and infection. Gave her anti biotics and put her on a drip. Said to bring her for three days for doses and we did as he said. He also said not to give her dry cat food and only boiled chicken we did that too. But she doesn't stop vomiting. Although her appetite is still high she literally begs us for food, shes lost weight and now we just dont know what else to do.. she wont stop vomiting and peeing outside the litterbox..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone please help

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did either Vet give her anything for her actual nausea? There are specific medications to stop nausea, which it sounds like she needs. Then, naturally, someone needs to still determine what is causing it in the first place. Did either Vet run bloodwork? Is that how the second Vet determined she had an infection? Are any of her kittens showing any signs of illness? What are you feeding her NOW? Just plain boiled chicken isn't a nutritionally complete for a cat, particularly one that is nursing. I agree that it could have been something in her food that was causing her issues, but have you tried changing her to canned food, perhaps turkey or duck based? Is she still vomiting several times a day? How did they determine she does NOT have a UTI? Did they check her urine?

We can't really diagnose what is wrong with her via the internet, just trying to get more information from you.

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other vet did give her medicine for nausea, yes along with anti biotics and no, neither vets did any blood work they felt her bladder and said usually in a uti cat the bladder is inflated and they strain when peeing which she doesn't, she pees fine..
The kittens are all healthy and none of them have any problems. I did give her canned food she threw that out aswell infact that's when she vomited first so i thought maybe thats causing it. Right now ive been giving her chicken and chicken stew.. the vet also asked me to change her cat food, i did that too, he kept saying she'll get stable.
Shes not vomiting several times a day now, just once or twice but she vomits literally all she eats. Last night she bit and tore the cat food wrapper and ate from it, later threw it all out.

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But she's getting thinner i can feel her bones and its scaring me

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she is nursing, AND unable to keep food down, it's a double whammy as far as her losing weight. IMHO, you need to take her in to see yet ANOTHER vet. Sorry to say it.

It's possible she has some sort of a blockage...perhaps a hairball caused from not only grooming herself, but her kittens as well :dunno:. Is she pooping ok?

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other vet did give her medicine for nausea, yes along with anti biotics and no, neither vets did any blood work they felt her bladder and said usually in a uti cat the bladder is inflated and they strain when peeing which she doesn't, she pees fine..
You should definitely have blood work done on her. Its one of the cheapest options (relatively speaking) to get an accurate diagnosis of what may be wrong with her. A 9 month old cat would not be having this issue unless there is some sort of serious underlying condition. Unfortunately as msgreen said, for something this serious its almost impossible for us to give any treatment advice that may alleviate the vomiting. The only thing we can suggest is what you can ask the vet to do.

Also, is your cat indoor exclusive? If not maybe something happened while she was outside that may be causing this. She could have some sort of poisoning from attacking a small animal (like a frog). Anyway best thing I can tell you is that take her to a vet that you feel will be the best at diagnosing her. If you feel comfortable with one of the two vets you took her to then take her back to them. If not, use google and look for a highly reviewed vets in your area with a good number of reviews and take her to one of them. You can see if there are any cat exclusive vets in your area. They would be able to better diagnose your cat because they have years of "cat only" experience. Good luck and let us know what happens with your cat.

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's pooping completely fine, and last night she vomitted a REALLY large vomit and we didnt feed her anything, now im not sure if she snuck into the cat food last night but it was the BIGGEST vomit ive ever seen a cat do. And after that, sje didnt eat anything the whole night, gave her small portions of cat food since the morning. She's eating but slowly bit by bit. and heres to one day without any vomit..i think whatever was stuck, or causing problems came out in that vomit. But if she vomits again, im taking her back to the vet.

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes mostly indoor, but sometimes escapes into the backyard where we've got vegetables and stuff comes back all full of thorns. Also hunts mice sometimes. This is Pakistan no cat exclusive vets here..

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also she was on purina cat chow
I also bought nutra gold
And also me-o thinking maybe shes got a problem with the feed. She only wants to eat me-o, spits out the rest of the two.. i mix purina with me o for now.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to stay 100% inside until she is well and the babies are weaned. Are the babies eating solids at all? It's good that mom is eating, and I agree that she needs to go back if she throws up again.

What do you mean by trying to prevent her from getting pregnant? Do you plan to spay?

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasnt giving the kittens solid food cz i read online you shouldnt until theyre one and a half month old, but i started giving them 2 days ago to give the mom some relaxation. And they're eating it fine. Yes ive taken the measures to block her escape route now, and i hope she will keep her food in now. Yes i do plan to spay, as soon as the kittens are weaned and she regains her strength. Thank you so much for all the replies and the worry. I always look forward to help from this site when nothing else works :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will need to stay 100% inside until she is spayed. Mom's can get pregnant again within a week of delivery and without going into heat.

Kittens tend to start to wean between 4-6 weeks. Since mom is unwell, I think it's a good idea to offer and see if they're interested.

Kittens should be spayed and neutered aroond 3 months.