Cat Keeps Trying To Come Inside

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Mittens likes trying to get in our house for some reason and we constantly have to rush opening and closing the doors whenever shes around does anyone know a good way to teach her not to come inside?

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you think it's strange that she tries to get in? Isn't she your cat...? Anyway, why don't you install a cat door so she can go in and out whenever she wants?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes an outdoor cat so that is not an option

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a cold place? Maybe she is cold. :(

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do live in Canada but she has a cat house with insulation so she should be fine when it comes to how cold it is out there.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she's not allowed inside at all? That seems a bit odd, any particular reason for that?

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mostly because this cat pretty much loses hair whenever anything touches her. Aside from that it's mostly preference that if we were to allow a cat inside it would have to be a short hair that doesn't shed often (for cleaning purposes). But we enjoy keeping care of the cat we have now so we see no reason to get one that would be allowed inside.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nice that you take care of her. I imagine though that she wants to come inside because you are in there and she probably wants to see what you're doing and spend time with you. Maybe you can spend more time with her outside or in her cat house.

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That actually sounds like a great idea. It has been snowing for a little while now though so I haven't been spending as much time outdoors as before. I do try to enjoy some time with her when I do head outside though. Seeing as I'm still in school I have plenty of opportunities that bring me outside regularly.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try brushing her and then letting her inside some? Cats do shed, but it sounds like her needs are not being met outside.

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although we unfortunately can't bring her inside she is feed and cared for. As a little side note does anyone think her need to get inside has anything to do with the fact she knows we have wet food cans for her inside? (we do give her wet cat food every once and awhile as a treat the only reason we don't give her wet cat food more often is that we don't want her getting uninterested in catching mice should any be found)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I must admit I think this is the first time I've seen a post asking how to keep a cat from wanting to come inside. Usually it's posts asking for advice keeping a cat from wanting to go outside, or on bringing a feral cat inside.

Is Mittens feral? How long have you had her? Has she wintered in the insulated cat house before?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that if you can get over the whole shedding and cleaning issue and bring her inside it would be best. But, in case that is not a possibility then you might consider where you are feeding her wet food. Are you feeding it by the doorway? If yes, that may be why she wants to come inside.

I actually find that having a cat that sheds makes me a cleaner person because it motivates me to clean my house regularly. Plus, I care more about my cat having a warm house and family to come home to than hair around the house.. but that's just me. :dunno:

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the first winter that she has had a insulated cat house before that she lived on a farm pretty much. she enjoys human company. and absolutely despises other cats and we've had her only about 6ish months I say.

we initially had 2 cats one of them an old mouser Midnight we loved and the other being Andy for being a new somewhat feral mouser after Midnight became to docile and stopped mousing after which he dispersed most likely for a family that adopted him while he was exploring town. After that Andy had pretty much lost the only cat he ever managed to befriend (to clarify before befriending Midnight he had a fear of bigger cats due to being attacked by one) becoming extremely lonely after Midnight's disappearance so to try and make it better for Andy and give him a friend Mittens was our option where he promptly threw Andy around being an overall jerk and scared him off.

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We feed her in the cat house. (sry for the wall of text on the previous reply just wanted to clarify which lead to more clarification)

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One last clarification for the earlier reply we thought Mittens was a good option because she seemed friendly enough at first before we discovered her need to throw around any cat she disagreed with (literally threw him once or twice not far but still enough to scare him away)

alphadude33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well neutered im pretty sure their nuetered just ask and see if spayed