Cat keeps licking privates

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently has been licking his privates/legs alot. I have noticed he is scooting after using his litter now too, his stool isn't diarrhea but it gets stuck to his bum and fur and legs all the time. His stool is also the same colour as the food he is eating, very dark. We switched him to this new wet food called weruva bff tuna & pumpkin in gravy and tuna and chicken in gravy, he loves this food and eats it constantly but we don't want him to be bothered either. He has been to the vet multiple times to get a sanitary trim, be shaved and get some mats/dry stuff off of his penis area. The vet said she didn't see anything wrong but to keep an eye on him. Should I switch his food to a different food? He has been on wet food for years and this has never happened. Everything else seems normal with him.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three things you said raise a flag for me:
  • Licking a lot
  • Scooting
  • Consistency of BM/getting stuck in hair
So yes, if you want to change his food again, maybe good. Just make sure any food changes you give it time for the transition. Food changes can cause upset for some cats. The things that are happening, especially combined aren't really "normal".

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He has been to the vet multiple times to get a sanitary trim, be shaved and get some mats/dry stuff off of his penis area.
Just out of curiosity, when is the last time he had bloodwork done? The reason I asked is because I'm a big believer in what's going on inside the cat's body. Labs can tell a lot and are a beneficial preventative measure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, when is the last time he had bloodwork done? The reason I asked is because I'm a big believer in what's going on inside the cat's body. Labs can tell a lot and are a beneficial preventative measure.
He got bloodwork done in early 2023 I'm pretty sure, this just started happening when we changed his wet food a couple months ago. I'll be taking him back as soon as I can

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He got bloodwork done in early 2023 I'm pretty sure, this just started happening when we changed his wet food a couple months ago. I'll be taking him back as soon as I can
It does sound more like the change in food then. Was there a problem with the prior food or did you just want to give him some variety?My first thought would be to only give him one food in order to rule out the culprit. Some cats have an allergy to chicken although that's my cat's preferred meat so I'm thankful it doesn't seem to affect him. Please keep us posted and fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of this soon, no pun intended. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does sound more like the change in food then. Was there a problem with the prior food or did you just want to give him some variety?My first thought would be to only give him one food in order to rule out the culprit. Some cats have an allergy to chicken although that's my cat's preferred meat so I'm thankful it doesn't seem to affect him. Please keep us posted and fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of this soon, no pun intended. ;)
The food he was on changed the formula and now he won't touch it, he's very very picky about textures and flavours! I have heard about the chicken allergy as well, I will look into that too. I will keep you posted, thanks!