Cat keeps licking and has leg twitches after rabies booster

SadieR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m a bit concerned for my kitty as she is constantly licking and biting at her paws and additionally is experiencing leg twitches after the booster + another shot. She is older than 1 and has never experienced this up until the shots. Does anyone have any info or closure for me?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SadieR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I’m a bit concerned for my kitty as she is constantly licking and biting at her paws and additionally is experiencing leg twitches after the booster + another shot. She is older than 1 and has never experienced this up until the shots. Does anyone have any info or closure for me?
Yeah, my mom managed to call them but the vet said “it’s just coincidental” which is definitely irritating to hear. We got a hold of someone else and they said it might just be hypersensitivity because the rabies shot is the most uncomfortable.
Hi SadieR SadieR ..:wave3:
I'm glad you phoned the Vet,...and made them aware...but yeah, that it definitely "a non-helpful answer",...since how is it supposed to help your kitty...right now...in the present moment. :disappointed::mad2:

"... but the vet said “it’s just coincidental”"....
Good your mom is so calm...because 'just coincidental of what?'...would have been my next question, "...umm..".is it the day of the week, the full moon, the stupid shot"...'what exactly is it being caused by'...Gosh, when we get dumb answers from vets...I get slightly irked...and then want to go and find a new vet. After some deep breathing and calming down, then I'm okay.

(Two of my cats, while kittens, did develop a small pea-shaped lump, on only one back leg, where one of the shots went into...but my cats had no other reactions...like yours is having. It took over two weeks for the pea-sized lumps to go away...and really freaked me out.
I also don't remember which leg was the rabies booster, and which was the other vaccs. The next Vet, did tell me that sometimes this happens, depending on how fast the injection is given...but your 'hypersensitivity' answer...sounds way more plausible...to me.)

Hope that your cat's reaction...lessens with time..and quickly.:bluepaw:

**I wonder if you can put an 'ice cube'...or some cold, frozen veges, in a bag,..and wrapped in paper towel, or regular towel...to somehow ease...any pain that your cat is feeling.:greenpaw:

Definitely look at your invoice, and make sure which shots were given...especially if it was the Felocell 4.
I'm hoping that it was not that particular vaccine.
Hoping that in 1-2 days, the reactions subside. :goodluck:
Hi, definitely get in touch with the vet and let them know as soon as you can.

Clusters of suddenly sick cats roil some veterinary clinics
As PushPurrCatPaws mentioned...thank you so much for this above article... Furballsmom Furballsmom
What an 'eye-opener'.

(I remember reading some previous threads/posts...on the Cat Site,...about delayed reactions...to Felocell 4...but that was many years back. Why they are still using it, is beyond me. :hmmm:
My cats were given Imrab by Merial...but it's still something to be aware of.
That thread also mentioned, ...not 'stacking vaccines'...but that is often difficult to do, since it would mean bringing the cat back, for a further shot. Something to think about, and be aware about, anyway.)
Again, thank you.

Last edited: