cat keeps howling when jumping

wintershow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I've taken my cat to the vet multiple times. They've taken a lot of xrays to figure out what's wrong with him.

It's always the same conclusion: there's no visibility of pain.

He's prescribed gabapentin 100 milligrams every 8 hours. But he still howls whenever he jumps. His tail has been permanently down since 2/19. He has had other exams too multiple blood works and a urinary exam. Nothing has been found that would explain the back pain.

I've been massaging his back legs and he doesn't react, and he only reacts when I touch his tail bone. I touch his paw pads to see if there's any sign of splinters/etc. and found nothing.

How else can I explain the pain to my vet? I'm planning on telling then that maybe he needs his glands expressed? He doesn't show any signs of them needing so though. I'm all out of ideas.

Thank you all

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If his tail is permanently down it is most likely nerve damage. It could be extending to other parsts of his body too. The jumping could jar his nerves in his tail and cause pain. That would cause pain. It wouldn't show up on blood tests or xrays either. Poor little mite!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I presume the howling when jumping is coincident to when his tail issue started?

I cannot give you anything but commiseration. Feeby, 19+yo, pretty much howls just about anytime she moves. She no longer jumps but rather uses makeshift steps to go up and down from places. I know howling would seem to indicate pain, but in her case, I am not so sure. Even if it were, I don't know what to do about it either. She wouldn't take gabapentin, so I give her buprenorphine and it makes absolutely no difference. I need to better watch her tail, but I think she doesn't hold it up much either. I do know she has an over-reaction to the base of her tail being touched.

She has two nearly fused discs in her back - identified years and years ago - and arthritis in a few joints, so I suspect the nerve issue mentioned above may be Feeby's problem, but it probably is more degenerative in nature. However, if your cat has had an injury of sorts affecting the nerves that is causing this behavior, and it is a more recent change, there is a good possibility that you will see him gradually improve. Not all nerve damage is permanent, but re-growth and healing can be a pretty long process.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wintershow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for providing inputs!

To answer your Q- "I presume the howling when jumping is coincident to when his tail issue started?" This is correct. At first I thought it was due to my cats coming in/out of my house that was stressing him out because they were at the Vets. (one was constipated and the other had severe URI)

He's had a long battle with what my vet might suspect be IBD (he had worms at one point (he's a stray cat and his age is possibly 5 yrs old), constantly throwing up, diarrhea, drinking water excessively to the point of throwing up). But that's taken care of, then suddenly on 2/19 this howling/tail conundrum started :(

He can't catch a break lol

Anyways, that's what I'm concluding as well possibly some kind of mild arthritis or nerve damage. I'll discuss with my Vet
He still jumps at any chance he can, he has a catio too, so we'll just have to build more stairs!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can you get a couple of videos, with sound so the vet can view what's happening, one from the side and one from behind your cat, as he's jumping?

wintershow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I've provided videos to my vet. :(

I will be returning to the Vet to see any other options and will provide an update here if he gets better.

He's able to use the litter box with no problem, and lifts his tail to pee. He tries to lift his tail at any chance he can.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I've provided videos to my vet. :(

I will be returning to the Vet to see any other options and will provide an update here if he gets better.

He's able to use the litter box with no problem, and lifts his tail to pee. He tries to lift his tail at any chance he can.
X-ray would only show issues with bone. An ultrasound or CAT-scan would show soft tissues. Any way your vet could be on board with those tests?

Alternatively, if your vet isn't, could you seek a second opinion?

wintershow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! It's been 2 months now, so it should be a good time for an update. My vet took another xray of the tail, and this time she found his tail being slightly dislocated.

We had him on prednisone for 2 weeks, and it's been a month now that he's off that steroid. He seems to be doing okay now, no more howling and he can jump high surfaces.

The vet recommends him to not jump as much but they're cats.... lol She says that his tail may never be fully up again, but he's trying his best to put it up. The last recommendation is to put him on gabapentin to alleviate the pain, however, he's been doing okay now so I haven't given it to him.

Thank you all for your help :)