Cat keeps getting into refrigerator

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For about the past few months, we've been having a problem with our 4-year-old Russian Blue, Eddie, opening our refrigerator door and getting food out.  We've tried putting heavy objects in front of the door, but he's managed to be able to somehow move them out of the way and get the door open.  At first we weren't sure which one of our cats was doing this (we have 4) as we hadn't actually seen it, but we then started catching him in the act several times and he's still doing it.  This is wasting electricity and ruining our food!  During the times we've caught him in the act, we've squirted him with a spray bottle, but it doesn't seem to phase him that much him since he keeps doing it.  We've had Eddie since he was a kitten and he's always been our "naughty cat," but he has never even tried to get into the fridge until recently.  Does anyone have any ideas how to put a stop to this behavior???   He ate almost all of our leftover turkey and dumped mashed potatoes and gravy all over the floor last night while were sleeping!!!  He is very well-fed, but apparently cat food just isn't his thing.  We're getting very frustrated with this!  

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell baby latches for fridges at Walmart (or anywhere that sells babyproofing supplies). Like $5 for a couple of them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My sister had a cat that did that, and she got a giant rubber strap from a moving company and used it on the fridge. Our last cat used to open the upright freezer, and I noticed in the instruction manual that child-proof handles were available. The guy who came to install it immediately asked whether we had a cat.

We use stick-on child locks on our cabinets, fridge, etc., now to keep Mogli out of them. They're inexpensive, but have to be replaced every few months when he breaks them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!  I never thought of using one of those childproof locks.  We had a friend who suggested that we buy a new refrigerator that he can't get into, but we literally just bought this one only a year ago when we remodeled our kitchen, so that won't be happening anytime soon!  I don't know why he constantly does this, but it needs to stop!  My husband said he was going to see if he can find one of those locks during his lunch break today.  Hopefully that will be the solution to our problem!