Cat keeps carching birds!

2003Dizzycats.2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Penguin is a 1 year and 6 months old ragdoll cat and is very hyperactive. I have tried everything, even the worlds most huge bell on his collar, but nothing works. I’m very ashamed because the neighbour likes birds and now they’re all disappearing. I don’t want to keep him inside because I don’t think that is right for cats. What should I do?
0273D0FC-65FC-4408-ABF6-531F472ED9D1.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's going out, I hope you've had him chipped, cats can get rid of their collars if they want to. The bell thing never worked. If you have one that goes after birds, you are unlucky, I've only known 2 out of 50 who were interested in chasing birds. Catio or indoors is about it.

You should know that some people are strong in their feelings about birds and if they know your cat is killing them, your cat may end up at the shelter without a word to you. If your cat is missing for any amount of time, like a couple of hours, be sure to check at your shelter for him.
That's the good news. In some places people just shoot outdoor cats even when they are wearing collars.

edit to add if your cat is wearing a collar outside be sure it is a breakaway collar because cats have caught the others on things and strangled. Be aware that the break away collars do not always break away.

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so cute, but cat's catch bird's. As long as he's going outside he'll try to catch birds and other things. It's instinct. You could however place restrictions on him by not letting him out when birds are the most active. A hour before sunrise and a hour after sunset, also after bad weather so the bird's can feed. The bell has most likely saved birds already but you just don't know about it. But the only way to stop it completely is to keep him indoors.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catching birds and small prey is natural and instinctive for him cats are predators cant change what they are. personally i would keep him as an indoor cat he will have a longer safer life risk free of any diseases etc. from fighting other cats . with no chance to be run over from cars or killed by dogs,coyotes . only way i can think of stopping him from killing birds is to turn your back yard into a big cat run fully enclosed