Cat keeping us up at night :(

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got my cat, she was very well behaved at night and would go to sleep with us no problem. Then she started playing with her toys more often, which would be fine if we didn't have hardwood floors for her to run around on. Now she won't stop meowing, and it's driving me crazy!! We have tried putting her in the other room but she gets so upset and I feel horrible just locking her up by herself. But unfortunately if we keep her in our bedroom she just wants to get out and run around the house. But that's not an option either, because when she gets free roam of the house she either A) runs from room to room nonstop or B) walks around the house yowling because she can't find us. I love her to death but this is maddening and I need my sleep! Is there anything I can do at least somewhat reduce this problem?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off is she spayed?

Secondly do you play with her to really tire her out before bedtime.  There is a theory called the hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep.  You want to really play with your cat with a wand toy ( da bird is the best) or laser or any other activity that really gets her moving.  She will hunt, catch and kill the toy.  Next you need to offer an extra special snack or small meal for the eat portion.  She should then groom herself and settle down to sleep.  The play sessions need to last quite awhile.  She needs to really work off her energy.  Does anyone play with her during the day?  Is she home alone during the day?  Cats are nocturnal by nature and if they are home alone all day or do not have activity during the day, night time is the time to come alive. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is not spayed yet. Most of the time there is at least one of us home during the day, and we do play with her and give her a lot of attention but playtime sessions don't normally last for too long. She is still a kitten so I know it is to be expected that she will be very active. Thanks for the advice! :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is she?  It sounds like she might be going into heat.  This can easily be solved by spaying her ASAP.  Her hormones are going crazy.  It will greatly improve her behavior if you get her spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's 5 months old. She was supposed to get spayed last week but I had to reschedule under my vet's advice because she had just gotten her booster shots, so now she is going on September 1st. I am having it done through a local low-cost program and they schedule 3-4 weeks out, so that's why I have to wait so long.