Cat just had 7 kittens!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
O oliviat26

How long will that be? Do you have, or can you get, a can of evaporated milk? Mix it with a raw egg yolk, a tablespoon of water, a tablespoon of mayonnaise, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of sugar or honey, and start feeding each of them 1-2 mLs every 1-2 hours. Drop by drop in the side of the mouth.

As they get stronger they will suckle mom more, which will bring in more milk. This could be a crisis brewing otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got the stuff I just don't know how to hold such little cats and they are very resistant. Mom got a taste of what they were getting (licked it off of their mouth) so when I try to feed them mom literally gets mad and wants the milk herself. She's been eating over 6 cans of wet and a bowl of dry everyday

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have plenty of experience feeding 1-2 week old kittens not newborn

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give mom some of her own to keep her busy, or take the kitten you are feeding into another room.

Make sure the formula is warm. Then wrap the kitten in a cloth like a burrito so only the head is out. This limits squirming. Hold the kitten tummy down, head up, and feed drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Let the kitten swallow, breathe and then give another drop.

Once the kittens realize it's good stuff they should calm down. If not, continue to feed anyway and you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Let me know how this goes!

Last edited:

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided to not use one of those little kitty bottles you get at Walmart, but I found a small plastic syringe that holds 3mls. This was soooo much easier. I let mom taste before I take her kitties away and she doesn't mind anymore bc she knows i will give her the left over so I don't waste it. Been doing 2.5mls every 1.5-2hrs. They seem to be going at mom's nipples harder since I started feeding them hopefully it will help her production.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, wonderful news! I thought you were already using a syringe. It always works better than a bottle with newborns. So glad things are picking up!

Keep it up until they are gaining weight well. It may take a couple of days. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems like butters lost interest in her babies. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonders around the house for over an hour, tried to escape outside, she's not producing milk at this point.....a little disappointing.

However they are eating 3ml of KMR every 1.5-2 hours and are getting the hang of it. They don't complain much about it anymore. I've yet to weigh them today I will do that later.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please post the weights both before and current as soon as you get a chance.

Does mom lie with her kittens and clean them? Do they suckle on her? If she is not cleaning them, you'll need to stimulate them to go pee and poop before and after meals. They are hopefully trying to nurse.

Please do not let mom out. Hopefully she will settle down with her kittens soon. It's okay if she takes breaks from the kittens though.

A vet can give her a shot of oxytocin to stimulate milk production.

If mom does not settle down and produce milk, you'll be hand-raising the kittens around the clock for the next month.

Thank you for supplementing. They will die otherwise.

Last edited:

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does clean them and lays with them but for very short times unless I lock her in my room with food water and a liter box. I'm willing to hand raise them that's fine but I wish she took more interest in them I will post weights after my cup of coffee [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed. Close her in your room with them. They really need mom, she needs to care for them, and you need her help. It's exhausting to hand raise kittens.

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 DAY OLD
Kitten #1 is 100grams
Kitten #2 is just a but over 100 about 107 grams
Kitten #3 is 100grams
Kitten #4 is 100grams
Kitten #5 is 90 grams maybe 92
Kitten#6 is 100grams
2 DAYS OLD
Kitten #1 95 grams
Kitten #2 95 grams
Kitten #3 97 grams
Kitten #495 grams
Kitten #5 95 grams
Kitten# 6 97 grams
3 DAYS OLD
Kitten #1 120grams
Kitten#2 140grams
Kitten #3 100grams
Kitten #4 120 grams
Kitten #5 120 grams
Kitten #6 120grams

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 DAY OLD
Kitten #1 is 100grams
Kitten #2 is just a but over 100 about 107 grams
Kitten #3 is 100grams
Kitten #4 is 100grams
Kitten #5 is 90 grams maybe 92
Kitten#6 is 100grams
2 DAYS OLD
Kitten #1 95 grams
Kitten #2 95 grams
Kitten #3 97 grams
Kitten #495 grams
Kitten #5 95 grams
Kitten# 6 97 grams
3 DAYS OLD
Kitten #1 120grams
Kitten#2 140grams
Kitten #3 100grams
Kitten #4 120 grams
Kitten #5 120 grams
Kitten #6 120grams
How confident do you feel that these numbers are exact?  I'm concerned that they are estimates because they are all round numbers / the same.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
O oliviat26

Excellent gains except for #3. After losing weight, it appears this one gained back 3 grams and no more. Please give this kitten extra - maybe even hourly for today. It needs boosting.

Keep up the nice supplementing job! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm confident the scale counts in 20s. If it is a hair short of a 20 then I do round down just a little. Only scale my Walmart had. I live in the middle of nowhere. The other scale was around 25$ and I just didn't have that money I needed to get the formula and stuff for mom. I have 5 kids I'm on a budget lol

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't estimate their numbers. I have a fostering license in my state. While I'm new to newborns I care about animals health tremendously and am trying my best to make sure they are healthy and start to thrive

areen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Locking the queen with her kittens and especially the first week is the best option which to keep her have her moments with her new family and get the responsability. Worrying too much and doing your pet's work makes them lose interest then get lazy.
Do not worry about their weight and for the first week it doesnt show up much. At least they were born with a good weight. Feed ur queen good and enough and give her all the aupplies she need. And she will do best. Give your pet time[emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji] I helped a stray cat and gave her a little house all I do is feed her, you could not find a single problem in her family, u get me right :D
Let the nature take its place but keep an eye on.