Cat Jumping On Screen Doors And Windows...need Help :(

LT808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitty LOVES attention and will jump on and climb up our screen doors and windows if he sees us inside. We tried the water bottle but I just read it's not good to do that to him so I'm looking at alternative ways to prevent him from jumping up on the screens. Please help! I don't know how to stop him.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he doing this because he is outside and wants to come in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LT808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Also because he just wants to be near us and wants more attention but sometimes it's just not possible to do it all the time. He's very loving and loves being around people so he wants to come inside. He just popped up at our house a week ago so we haven't gotten him flea treatments yet so we can't let him in the house.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you eventually planning on taking him in? If yes, I would get going on catching him up on his necessary vaccinations and treatments. Keeping him outside and giving him flea treatments might be difficult to do... you're trying to treat something that he attained from outside, but you're still keeping him out there.. so it's a bit counter-intuitive. I would take him to the vet and have him checked for fleas and other things and see first how bad it is and what his needs are.

I wouldn't ever use a spray bottle on a cat. It usually never works and if they see you do the spraying they may start associating you with negative consequences. It's also not very nice. He probably is not going to stop trying to come in your house unless you completely ignore him until he goes away, so I think you have to make a decision on whether you are going to take this cat in or not, and if you are, get him to the vet and figure out a plan. You might also have him checked for a microchip because you never know.. he may be a lost cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LT808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we're going to the vet tomorrow for a check-up, check for a microchip, get flea medication, etc. We're not going to bring him in the house while he has fleas and have our house become infested so in the meantime he's staying outside. I posted him on our local human society website just in case someone is looking for him as well. We're planning on letting him come inside once his flea situation is taken care of.

We used the spray bottle a few times but after researching we realized that's dumb so I'm trying to find other ideas on how to keep him off our screens. I just need to know what to do to stop him from climbing up and possibly ruining our window and door screens.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we're going to the vet tomorrow for a check-up, check for a microchip, get flea medication, etc. We're not going to bring him in the house while he has fleas and have our house become infested so in the meantime he's staying outside. I posted him on our local human society website just in case someone is looking for him as well. We're planning on letting him come inside once his flea situation is taken care of.

We used the spray bottle a few times but after researching we realized that's dumb so I'm trying to find other ideas on how to keep him off our screens. I just need to know what to do to stop him from climbing up and possibly ruining our window and door screens.
I don't think there's much you can do besides just maybe covering any windows where she can see inside and not being close to the door. It's only one more day so if you can just make it through the night then tomorrow hopefully things will work out at the vet.