cat jumping on bed during night...

luv my tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am beginning to suffer from sleep deprivation bec. of my cat jumping on bed different hours of the night...many nights now it is early morning hours and i can't get back to sleep so i am missing sleep time i need (i already have sleep problems). During the night she makes some kind of primal sound like growl or moan in the living room then jumps on my bed with a normal meow. (also she is 16 ys old and may have been feral) And she is now peeing over the edge of cat box in the bathroom (more often) and is not something anyone wants to have to clean before cofffee in the morning. i have closed the blinds in the liv. rm. completely and don't want to shut her out of bedroom bec. heater is in there. i am HOPING u can help me!! thank you!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sixteen years old, health changes explain a lot of behavioral changes and peeing changes. I recommend a vet visit, although I'll understand if you can't afford the $300+ senior blood tests they will certainly recommend. Still, the vet might find something else, and the blood panel is logical if you can afford it.

Without ruling out health issues, its difficult to even know where to start. For me at least, maybe someone else will have some thoughts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. I too have a 16+ yo cat. When she started peeing over the edge of the litter box, it was due to a UTI. That can also cause excessive meowing if they don't feel 'up to par'. You can either try to collect some sterile urine, if you know how, and have the vet run a urinalysis/urine culture on it, or take her to the vet for them to collect a sample. As A ArtNJ mentioned above, if she hasn't had a geriatric blood panel done any time in the past 6-12 months, it would be advisable to have one done (CBC, Super Chem Profile, thyroid).

Feeby also squawks/screeches/whatever you want to call it, even without a UTI, sometimes during the day as well as nighttime. I think as she ages she is more needy and looks for a lot more attention. Although Feeby's nighttime/early morning antics don't necessarily mean she is hungry, perhaps your cat is hungrier than she used to be. That can happen as well with older cats. Don't know what/when you feed her, but if she doesn't get a 'midnight snack' at present, you might try that as well to see if it helps.

If she has slept with you in the past without so much interruption, it might be as simple as bringing her closer to you, getting her to lay beside you, and giving her a few pets until she settles down.

A lot of how you handle this depends on all of the above.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say their senses get a little wonky at that age sometimes, so they wake up confused and need more reassurance. So if its not something specific, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's suggestion of moving her closer to you might help. Maybe she can sleep in your room, or you can make a nest for her with blankets that smell like you. A UTI is a great example of something the vet could catch without it costing a zillion dollars, so a vet visit is def a good idea even if you can't afford the blood panel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv my tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate them. Allie sleeps at the foot of my bed, when she settles down. Last nite was the first nite i closed the blinds all the way down and i'm pretty sure that worked in her calming down during the nite. I know i slept well and am really glad for that! There is probably a lot more activity outside the window than there used to be (or than i realized)...there can be javalina's, deer, bird, etc. to get her all excited. No peeing outside the cat box last nite, either. i did get her a blood test and check up 10 months ago. if there is anymore ongoing symptoms i will have her checked. Thanks again, for all of your help...sometimes it helps to discuss this with people like you in making decisions and figuring stuff out. :)