Cat Jumped on Hot Stove =(

Cat_Mom31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Max was under my feet as usual this morning while I was making my daughter eggs for breakfast, well I took her eggs out of the pan and shut the burner off. I left the pan on the burner as I usually do until I get the cover put on it...to prevent things like this from happening...well my lovely girl Max decided to jump onto the stove and literally jumped into the hot pan I had just used to cook eggs, so not only was it burning hot it had oil from the butter still hot in it. So..she was basically burnt by the pan and the hot oil I guess?

She immediately went running and jump away from it but being that she was in a pan the whole pan went with her and onto the floor. So she didn't get away from it as quickly I don't think. She ran up under my bed and won't come out so I can't even look at her paw...not that I know what I'm looking for anyway but I wanted to make sure she was okay.

Has anyone had any experience with this happening and if so should I take her to the vet or put something on her paw...not even sure which paw because she jumped up with all 4 so I'm actually thinking she could have burnt them all. I feel absolutely terrible. I left the pan on there so the burner wasn't completely exposed while I grabbed the cover for it. I am worried the pan being super hot and greasy made the burn worse 😬😰😢🥵

Someone, please tell me what the best thing to do for her is!

Sincerely,

A worried cat mom

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! I'm so sorry this happened! :< If you don't feel confident in your ability to examine her right now without undue stress, I'd get her into her carrier asap and get to to the emergency vet (or your usual one, if possible!)

While it's quite possible she'll be all right after this ordeal, since there was oil involved, and there's a chance the pan may have hit her on her way down, it's definitely best to have a professional opinion, given its her pawpads that took the brunt of the damage, and burns can be prone to infection. You'll probably be recommended a burn cream, possibly given a cone, and, depending on the severity, she may get her paws bandaged or an antibiotic. Best of luck to you and your kitty!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burns almost always get infected, so that is what you will have to watch for. She may need an antibiotic. She will be hurting for a while, so I would try to see how bad it is. If it's bad, take her to the vet. Crawl under there with her with a flashlight and try to see. a cool cloth applied lightly may help. You might see what kind of burn cream is safe for cats. It wouldn't hurt to get a wound spray from a farm supply store for cats and spray until a rag is soaked and press it gently to her pads. Spray sounds care a cat. An antimicrobial one would be best.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that's unfortunate. Hope she recovers quickly.

When any of my cats come in the kitchen while I'm cooking I always shoo them out with a stern voice telling them to leave... I don't like doing that, but it's for their own good. Also, I make sure to keep my stove off 30 minutes before feeding time so there are no burnt paw accidents.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been there, done that. Yes, take your cat to the vet ASAP. The burn needs to be treated. Even superficial first degree burns need treatment. The paws will be painful for awhile and pain meds may be needed as well.

Try applying a cool compress or ice pack to the paws to soothe them a bit until you get to the vet.

Some TCS threads on the subject and how to prevent a future incident:

https://thecatsite.com/threads/lulu-stepped-on-a-hot-burner.423926
https://thecatsite.com/threads/burnt-paw-from-stove.414543/
https://thecatsite.com/threads/burned-footpad.378361/
https://thecatsite.com/threads/kittens-and-hot-cooktops-help.397929
Cat Jumped On Stove ;-(

Raxstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is just this type of possibility that scares me with my cats. I moved on to an induction cooktop instead to make it a lot safer. As long as they don't jump into a hot pan, they should have no risk of injury now. I can (uncomfortably) rest my hand on the burner as soon as I remove the frying pan now. I know it doesn't help your situation after the fact, but it is something to consider for future prevention. I would never consider anything other than induction with pets or young children.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not suggesting what you do with your cat but Lulu did this on the burner a month or two ago. She burnt two of the pads in one paw. We waited it out and she healed fine. The blisters never popped. ( I was in contact with the vet.) She kept the paw up for a couple of days.
She doesn’t even jump up on that counter any more.