Cat is very insistent on covering it up in the litterbox

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I was scooping my kitty's litterbox out the other day with my kitty watching me of course. Well, I guess he didn't like what I was doing. I exposed a pile of #2 and just as I was about to scoop it, he walked in his litterbox, buried it, and then walked out and waited. It was the funniest thing and I literally laughed out loud. So after I was done scooping, I put my kitty to the test. I left a small piece exposed on the the very middle of his litterbox. Sure enough after I was done and washing up my hands, he gets in his litter box and diligently covers it back up again, doesn't do any "business" in there, just went in to cover it up.

I guess I can't complain about him not covering it up when he's done.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I would love a kitty to follow his example.
I can't get mine to even cover theirs. Much scratches everything but the litter.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilarious.

Mazy is the Litter Box Police in this house. She has been since the day she came.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aren't they such funny little creatures?! I have one that scratches before doing her thing, then "covers" OUTSIDE the box! The other one waits till the last minute so doesn't do anything before going, but she digs to China after!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the potty police here too... Tex and Ghost both cover up the exposed products of the other cats! And I know when Prowler is going #2 because it involves a MAJOR EXCAVATION!!!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are just so funny with their habits. Tolly sings before he pees, and does the Poop Run after he poops.

Ootay (rb 5/09) was a scratcher. Scratch scratch scratch the sides of the box, the floor and newspapers under the box, the walls next to the box.

Mazy is in charge of all thing Litter, any time I scoop, she must hurry down to supervise. Like the OP, sometimes I leave a little, just because I like to see her get in and point to it.

When Ootay had her box up here in my bathroom Mazy used to follow me into the bathroom (like most cats) and then stare hard at Ootay's box if there was something in it. If I looked her way she would say "prrt!" and then the next time I looked, more urgently "PRRT!".

Look mommie, you're not doing your job, clean this right now!

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is halarious! Oppisite of the tread i left on Neko NOT covering her #2! Although i can relate here too... Neko also does the crazy poop run and scratches the sides of the box, door flap to the cover and outside the box

What really gets me is when I go to clean out her box. I'll remove the lid, get my little bucket with bag ready and she'll jump in and do her business right infront of me! Before I can even start scooping! "I better go ahead and GO, while your here scooping"

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mazy does that too!
I always thank her and tell her what a good girl she is to show mommie that she is still peeing freely (Mazy has FLUTD)

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Abbey is a total excavator too. She has to dig for about 5 minutes first, find just the right spot, do her thing, then dig for another 5 minutes. And scratch the roof of the box, the walls, the floor outside the box when she's out. Its a trip. Sometimes she'll come back 10 minutes later just to dig again in case it wasn't buried properly.

Kaeli just gets in, gives it a scratch, does her thing, does a quick bury and gets out. She doesn't seem to give it much thought.. lol

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago I had a prissy calico named Betsy. She never scratched at all, jumped in, did her business and jumped out. She didn't want to get her feet dirty.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

Years ago I had a prissy calico named Betsy. She never scratched at all, jumped in, did her business and jumped out. She didn't want to get her feet dirty.
That's my Dusty! But Squeak is on patrol, and she will jump in and cover up Dusty's business! Squeak also can't wait to initiate a clean box. She will jump in right after I've scooped everything and leave a fresh treasure behind.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

I love it!

Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

That's my Dusty! But Squeak is on patrol, and she will jump in and cover up Dusty's business! Squeak also can't wait to initiate a clean box. She will jump in right after I've scooped everything and leave a fresh treasure behind.
Our family dog Cinder used to to that. This was after I'd already left home (all the kids had) and my mother started her rescue work. She had a cat with IBD, and my goodness that cat stunk. And he never buried!

Cinder couldn't stand it, whenever Jack went poop, Cinder was right behind him covering it up.

Animals are so incredible, aren't they?

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny!!!! I've had my share of diggers and non-diggers. Bella likes to get in and get out. Like she's got things to do and can't be bothered with details. I guess covering her poo is something I missed reading in my job description. Ok, I got the memo, Bella

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

So funny!!!! I've had my share of diggers and non-diggers. Bella likes to get in and get out. Like she's got things to do and can't be bothered with details. I guess covering her poo is something I missed reading in my job description. Ok, I got the memo, Bella

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuts digs to China in one place, then decides it's not the right place so he digs to China in another part of the box, then he has to cover it really well(after smelling it, don't get that but cats and dogs both do it.) It's annoying when he digs to the bottom because I then have clumps stuck to the bottom of the box.

Attitude digs too but I don't think she has to dig to China to go.

They all cover their 'business' so I don't have to deal with them not.

Nuts also loves to come in the bathroom while we're going and then go himself. Like "well since you're going I'm going to go too. We'll go together" No clue why he does that even if he doesn't have to go if we're in the bathroom and he sees us he'll come in and scratch in his litter box.

Taryn

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

Nuts digs to China in one place, then decides it's not the right place so he digs to China in another part of the box, then he has to cover it really well(after smelling it, don't get that but cats and dogs both do it.) It's annoying when he digs to the bottom because I then have clumps stuck to the bottom of the box.

Attitude digs too but I don't think she has to dig to China to go.

They all cover their 'business' so I don't have to deal with them not.

Nuts also loves to come in the bathroom while we're going and then go himself. Like "well since you're going I'm going to go too. We'll go together" No clue why he does that even if he doesn't have to go if we're in the bathroom and he sees us he'll come in and scratch in his litter box.

Taryn
I hate that about my digger Squeak. I have to scrape the clumps off the bottom of the box, and vacuum up the scattered litter all over the bathroom floor!