Cat is trying to initiate play when the other is using the litter box

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cats usually get alone fine except recently my male cat has been trying to start to pounce and play with the other cat when she is using the litter box. She understandable wants to be left alone when she is doing her business.

I have multiple litter boxes. Also it is very obviously play. He continues to try to play even when she is not longer in the litter box. He isn't being hostile, he isn't growling or hurting her.

When I am in the room with them I distract him but I can't do that when I am gone or asleep.
She has already being trying to find an alternative place to do her business.

I feel like the litter box guard.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This same situation has happened before, and I am not sure I ever heard anyone come up with an easy solution.

One of the suggestions was to install a micro-chip operated cat door (assuming your cats are micro-chipped) to a room with one of the litter boxes with the idea that your girl can access the cat door with her chip and your boy - unless he is right on her heels - would not be able to enter thereafter.

Ideally, your male will outgrow/tire of the shenanigans, and in the meantime, the micro chip cat door will hopefully prevent her from finding somewhere else to do her business.

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or you could maybe try with a litterbox that has an opening on the top?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or you could maybe try with a litterbox that has an opening on the top?
My litter boxes are all uncovered. I don't have any covered litterboxes because they seem harder to clean.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My litter boxes are all uncovered. I don't have any covered litterboxes because they seem harder to clean.
He will out grow it. My cat Maggie was like that.mine are all storage bins,no tops. I agree tops do make it hard to clean!

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should rephrase to "top entrance" litterbox?
If it has all sides, it's hard to initiate play, I would giess...unless he jumps in to join her xD