Cat is throwing up and having diarrhea....

kittenpowerpow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night my cat who is around 7 month had diarrhea. I found blood in it and it looked like mucus. So i rushed him to the animal hospital. Checked his vitals everything seemed good. He does has an upper respitatory infection so he got an antibiotic. He tested negative for feline aids leukemia and parvo. So that wasnt causing his diarrhea. Anyway she gave me parasite treatment for him. But today hes throwing up and i dont know if it could be parasite related(they couldnt get a stool sample from him last night) so now i am wprried that they missed something. He did eat differently though i had to give him that crappy canned food friskies. Im wondering hes just sick from that. Does anyone have any advice. What can i feed him since hes throwing up now and having diarrhea??

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boil some chicken and mix it with a bit of rice or canned pumpkin. And give him small, frequent meals. I've heard this can help ease their stomach. If that doesn't help, you should really take him back to the vet so they can give him something to ease his stomach. I'm going through a very similar situation right now which has not resolved yet, but the boiled chicken did help him to stop throwing up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenpowerpow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah i just dont know whats wrong with him. :/ i was just heading to the store for some pumpkin. :) he seems to be urinating a lot more than usual too.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would collect a stool sample and get it to a vet.  Parasites are possible especially if he goes outside.  If he is an indoor cat then there can be other causes from food intolerance, stress, or something bad he ate.

The mucous in the stool supports the idea of parasites.  If he gets an in-house fecal float test and its negative, discuss sending the sample out for a totally reliable PCR test.  in the meantime, very mild food.

kittenpowerpow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah i collected a sample just now so hopefully ill get a diagnosis. Im feeding him chicken and rice to take his anti biotic with and pumpkin puree on the side. His poop is very sticky and slimey. Its almost jelly like. He got drontal feline tablets for the parasites its 2 tablets. He doesnt seem to be distressed but he is sleeping a little more than usual.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may also be dehydrated. You can test this by pinching his neck between your thumb and forefinger and pulling the skin away from his neck until just taught, then release. If it snaps back like a rubber band than he's fine. The slower it sinks back the more dehydrated he is and if it doesn't slink back all the way then a vet visit is needed asap.

kittenpowerpow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night when i took him he wasnt dehydrated which is good. Hes been slowly picking at water. He has a problem with drinking from bowls he doesnt like too. He tries to drink water like a human. Lol