Cat is terrified of riding in the car

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of us have been there, done that, still ongoing. There are many excellent suggestions  on this forum.

I have three 4 + male cats, all who don't like to travel, Boo being the worst . You would think he was being murdered. Soon as we left the driveway he would start his very loud and disturbing crying. Even on some occasions he would hyperventilate.

What I tried and is working 75% of the time is : The carrier , it is always washed after returning from the vet : The carrier is sitting on top of a locker pantry in my laundry room so the cats can explore it and Peanut actually sleeps in it
  : Comfort Zone spray is sprayed inside of the carrier 20 minutes before leaving to go to the vet : Comfort zone spray is sprayed inside the car also.. A big towel is thrown over the carrier  and if it is nice weather the air is on and windows are up to drown out outside road noise.

Feliway comfort zone has been the biggest help  and has made the travel much better..not perfect but almost tolerable.
I am going to check into the car  diffuser for travel  that Feliway I believe now has .

I had tried the Bach Rescue remedy it does not help as well as Pet Naturals of vermont calming treats with very little success but I can't use them for the biggest baby because he has IBD and the ingredients of Colostrum and etc... don't mix with his condition.

I have found that the Feliway has made the biggest difference AND believe it or not Boo likes a CD by Leon Redbone  that plays a sort of  Blues music (His favorite is" DIDie What Didie " sounds weird I know but when I turn this music on in the car he does quiet down more.

I don't know about the "Thunder shirts" they have out for cats if that would be an option also ?

It may be just a thing as the vet may need to prescribe something for just the vet trips to calm your cat down... My sister used to have to give her dog Benadryl that the vet suggested before car trips .Something to take the anxiety off of them even though I am not a fan of Medications, vets have also prescribed Benzodiazepines for cats who totally freak out and nothing else has helped.

I would try leaving the carrier out in sight (cleaned completely first), spray a little comfort zone in it... and some of the other suggestions from current posters, except no carrier, HMMM I have had animals slip out of their carriers in the car and that can be dangerous especially when they head for the floor where you are driving or for your lap  !

namma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My elderly cats always hated the car.

Luckily for us a mobile vet started up near us and not only is it less stress, out the apartment door and a short walk, but they are considerably less expensive than the vet facilities around us. Not really good for emergencies, but I've been scheduling more appointments, dental cleanings and full blood panels since a I can afford getting multiple cats their checkups. Checkups can head off an emergency since you know what conditions they have and can treat accordingly.

Perhaps finding out if there is a mobile vet in the area and what their charges are might be an answer for some.

caralian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My elderly cats always hated the car.

Luckily for us a mobile vet started up near us and not only is it less stress, out the apartment door and a short walk, but they are considerably less expensive than the vet facilities around us. Not really good for emergencies, but I've been scheduling more appointments, dental cleanings and full blood panels since a I can afford getting multiple cats their checkups. Checkups can head off an emergency since you know what conditions they have and can treat accordingly.

Perhaps finding out if there is a mobile vet in the area and what their charges are might be an answer for some.
Oh, I really wish they had something like that around here, it would make things a lot easier. I have been walking our cats to the vet, in stead of taking the bus (we don't have a car, not really needed here in Finland), because I'm scared they'll be terrified and I can't really do that in a bus full of people - which I think, btw, that adding strangers to the equation might make it worse.

But if mobile vets were here, I would definitely use that option! Quite genius. 

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, she really hates car rides. My girl just cries mournfully and looks at me like, "my human friend, why you do this to me?" 

But yes, you should give Feliway a try. I have heard it works great.

foxfier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not carry your cat loose in the car. If the door or window can be opened by stepping on the button to open, it is likely to jump out into traffic. Not a good scenario. Or better yet, it could get in front of you and block your vision. A  frightened or distressed animal is not what you need when you are responsible for other peoples lives as well as your own.