Cat is super needy

aubs1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Alfie is an indoor cat, 8 years old and I've had him since he was a kitten. He's been an amazing cat, has always been a bit stand-offish, but would be lovey on his own terms. ( He was neutered at 12 weeks) We have another cat, Zoe, who we got around the same time whom we estimate to be 9 years old. She is happiest when she has a lap to sit on, and nothing else will do and they get along fantastically well. So we have the perfect blend. Occasionally we let them outside for short periods of time, when we are there to watch them. We don't let them out of our site as they have always been indoor cats. Zoe roams around whereas Alfie finds the first patch of grass and chews on it like the kid who ate the paste in class when you were a kid. We had a BBQ a couple of months ago with family, and we let them out. My husband's brother arrived and brought his large German Shepard with him. It should be noted the dog is a great dog, not at all aggressive. When he trotted over to Alfie to check him out, Alfie got VERY agitated and started hissing, back arched, hair standing on end like his life depended on it. He has never done that before. The huge dog backed away and didn't go near him again. Immediately after in the following days, Alfie meowed constantly and begged to go outside. Now he needs my attention all the time, and if he doesn't get it he meows incessantly. If i ignore him because he's so annoying, he'll pee somewhere. This morning it was on my bag (that had my iPad in it). I had just had that bag at my brother's house yesterday, and i assume Harley's stink was on it. He is not exhibiting any kind of illness, does use the litter box… my husband thinks he's just being a jerk, because he has done jerkish things in the past like knocking mail off the counter and watching my husband for his reaction. I have to have special "mommy-son" time with him upstairs on the couch and brush him because that's where he likes it best. Is it reasonable to assume this behavior is stemming from that event with the dog? The meowing is so annoying… and the peeing is unacceptable, though it happens only occasionally. He also wanders. If it's stress, how do I mitigate that? I love this cat and will do whatever I can for him. And I feel I should mention that all they eat is can food for those of you who may think UTI.

charlottekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is peeing for territorial reasons (Sorry about your iPad!) He most likely wants to put his scent everywhere so if the dog comes back, it will remind the dog that Alfie is the, "Top Cat" and that your house is his territory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aubs1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the condolences on my iPad. Fortunately it was a burlap bag and coated on the inside so electronics were safe. But is the needy behavior still explained by territory nearly 2 months later? Usually the peeing happens when I ignore him. And the peeing thing only happens occasionally… it's mostly the meowing that gets under our skin. I just want to make sure my boy is ok emotionally, and if the general consensus is a physical thing to get him checked out. Just don't have a whole lot of money right now for a vet.

aubs1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. It's mostly meowing. I think he's peed a total of 4 times since the incident, but the meowing has been constant. I was just in my bathroom, for instance, getting ready to leave and he came in meowing. He hopped up on the bed and i gave him a thorough rub down for about 5 minutes, and when he indicated he was done, laid down and is now sleeping peacefully. It's just weird because he was never that needy before. Most of the time he wanted to be left alone. I guess I'm just trying to rule out medical issues. Like i said, not a whole lot of money and i want to rule out as much as i can before going that route.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When did the inappropriate peeing start, right after the BBQ or more recently? Does he meow when using the litter box? Is he peeing more frequently than usual? Is the amount of each pee normal?

It may be a territorial thing. The meeting with the dog may have been stressful. One suggestion would be to try the Feliway pheromone diffuser and see if that helps to calm him. If that doesn't work and the inappropriate peeing continues, then it's time for a vet visit.

aubs1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Peeing started after the dog. Prior to that he would pee in a cardboard box VERY occasionally, maybe two or three times over the course of his lifetime, so 4 times in the last 2 months is excessive for him. Pee is normal amount, in the litter box, doesn't meow when he's in there. just gets the job done and exits the box. i had a cat growing up who had a UTI and he exhibited those behaviors, so i know what that looks like. And it really is when we are in the room with him and ignoring him, like he's proving a point. Where would i find a diffuser like that?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Online (Amazon) is cheapest although you can find it at pet stores and some vet offices as well. It does take a few days to start working, and it doesn't work on all cats. However, it gives out calm cat pheromones that seem to help many cats. Given that he's not showing any other symptoms of FLUTD, I would try the Feliway.