Cat Is Suddenly Extremely Affectionate, Eats Less

deepbregg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, who has never been SUPER affectionate previously, has suddenly started being incredibly affectionate. She is also eating less, but she's always been finicky around food and it's never been too much of a problem. I'm not sure if this is normal or something to worry about? Advice mega appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any weight loss? If you think there is, vet would likely let you weigh for free and compare against last visit. (I can weigh my cats pretty accurately just by getting on my digital scale that does tenths of a pound with and without them.) Without weight loss, short term appetite fluctuation is nothing significant. Maybe cat is bored of the food, maybe its just a reaction to it being hotter. My cats are indoor/outdoor so its a bit different, but there are 3 day periods where they seem to each much less.

I wouldn't worry about a cat becoming more affectionate unless it was very sudden, very dramatic and even, I've never heard of an increase in affection as a symptom of a medical problem.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Whenever my Ruby gets super affectionate, I wonder what she's done that she's trying to make me aware of. Sometimes, I'll realize after the fact, she wanted to let me know she'd thrown up. Other times, I never figure it out. ;)

She also has days when she doesn't eat as much, then gets back to normal the next day or so.

As long as your cat is eating something, and keeping it down, and using the litter box normally, it's probably nothing urgent. If it continues, maybe call your vet and tell them what's going on, and see what they say. Especially if "your gut" tells you something isn't right. It's always best to err on the side of caution.

Here's a couple articles with more info:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?