Cat Is Suddenly Acting Skittish

MeriKay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
We have a nearly 1 year old cat. She has been with us since September and has integrated nicely with the family. She was feral but is socialized and even asks for affection. Last Friday my roommie came home to find her behind one of our bookshelves (a short one). She usually could get out from there herself although this time she was crying and didn't seem to be able to get out. Roommie got her out and ever since then she has been acting skittish. Friday night she stayed in one corner of the living room and wouldn't even go to the next room for the litter box (she peed in her bed). Saturday she was still in that general area and so we went out and got some Feliway. When we got home she had moved to a closet in my upstairs bedroom. She would let me hold her and even carry her downstairs. Sunday and today she ventured a bit further (she'll go to the kitchen for "breakfast". She has been eating, drinking and using the litter box (we moved it to the living room but are slowly moving it back to where it had been in the bathroom a few inches a day.) She plays and is active ... in that half of the room. I've never seen a cat act like this before. I truly don't think there is anything medical wrong. Has anyone experienced anything like this.... any suggestions to help Midnight deal with her anxiety? Any suggestions/comments/etc. would be great.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I'm a worrier, so I'd probably at least call the vet and tell them what's going on and ask their advice. But maybe that would be an over-reaction.

Perhaps you could look into Feliway or some calming treats. I've never used either, but have seen them mentioned in other threads.

Other than that, not sure what to suggest. I will post links to some TCS articles that might be of help. Hope she's back to her normal self soon. :hearthrob:

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama has already given you all of the advice that I was organizing in my mind as I read your post, so I will only add that it is very possible that some loud noise frightened her while she was away, and that when those things happen, it is fairly normal for a cat to associate the fear with the area where it happened. MOST of the time, time will take care of the issue!

Oh, this is why all those videos of cats being scared to death by cucumbers at their feeding dishes are SO NOT FUNNY...cats have developed serious, life-threatening food aversions from being subjected to that sort of thing.