Cat is still vomiting

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat with kidney disease (refer to my previous posts if you don't remember the horrible things she's been through) is still throwing up on alternative days (once a day). The vomit is usually yellow/green with a bit of hairball only sometimes. When I used to give her hairball care and brush her everyday, she'd still vomit hairball. Anyway, shes vomiting, eating a lot, pooping and playing. She's active. I'm worried because her vomiting wouldn't stop. I also checked her weight it didn't drop. She's around 4kg and almost 2 years old

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like it could be stomach acid buildup. Usually, that can be resolved by feeding food more frequently, but in lesser amounts each time, so that there is nearly always some food in the stomach to absorb the extra acid. A lot of CKD cats are given things like famotidine to help reduce stomach acid.
Pepcid (Famotidine) For Cats - Cat-World

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it could be stomach acid buildup. Usually, that can be resolved by feeding food more frequently, but in lesser amounts each time, so that there is nearly always some food in the stomach to absorb the extra acid. A lot of CKD cats are given things like famotidine to help reduce stomach acid.
Pepcid (Famotidine) For Cats - Cat-World
Well, i do feed her lesser amounts frequently but the problem is still there. This has been happening since april

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This would happen with my CKD kitty. Sometimes it's connected with bowels not moving normally. We would feed a meal right before bedtime and it helped some. We also offered food regularly throughout the day. We did use Pepcid as needed as well.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long after her meals does she usually vomit? Sometimes a food sensitivity can cause vomiting several hours after meals. Given that you say the liquid is usually yellowish it does sound like acid but we have a cat who can have both issues simultaneously. How many meals do you feed a day? We do six and it seems to help Edwina to feed foods of varying calorie density but all low in carbs. Slippery elm bark can also be helpful for some cats. If all else fails, consider having your cat tested for parasites, which (we found out the hard way) can also cause vomiting that doesn't resolve itself with dietary changes or "easy" treatment like Pepcid.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This would happen with my CKD kitty. Sometimes it's connected with bowels not moving normally. We would feed a meal right before bedtime and it helped some. We also offered food regularly throughout the day. We did use Pepcid as needed as well.
I do feed her right before bed time and small amounts throughout. Btw isn't bowels not moving properly related to IBD instead of ckd?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long after her meals does she usually vomit? Sometimes a food sensitivity can cause vomiting several hours after meals. Given that you say the liquid is usually yellowish it does sound like acid but we have a cat who can have both issues simultaneously. How many meals do you feed a day? We do six and it seems to help Edwina to feed foods of varying calorie density but all low in carbs. Slippery elm bark can also be helpful for some cats. If all else fails, consider having your cat tested for parasites, which (we found out the hard way) can also cause vomiting that doesn't resolve itself with dietary changes or "easy" treatment like Pepcid.
She doesn't vomit right after, it takes a while. Vomiting usually occurs in the morning, rarely in the afternoon. She doesn't have parasites as she recently had her deworming done plus I don't see weird thing in her poop

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do feed her right before bed time and small amounts throughout. Btw isn't bowels not moving properly related to IBD instead of ckd?
Not always. With kidney kitties, it also affects bowels because there is usually not enough fluid in the kitty's body to properly keep moving things along. This is why kidney kitties often have hard, dry stool and why they don't poop daily or more often like a healthy kitty.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not always. With kidney kitties, it also affects bowels because there is usually not enough fluid in the kitty's body to properly keep moving things along. This is why kidney kitties often have hard, dry stool and why they don't poop daily or more often like a healthy kitty.
What about hairball? Do they also vomit hairballs even if given a hairball formula? Or the occurance of hairball is just a coincidence when the cat throws up?
PS she passes stool everyday