Cat Is Sick From Dewormig, What To Do ?

tobias gruber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday, I brought my cat to the vet to get some injections and deworming. The vet said she probably ate flea and therefor must be adminstered Vibrac Deworming Paste Vitaminthe once a day. Back at home, she started vomiting a lot. A good 10 times. It was already too late to go back to the vet and he said she will feel dizzy and lazy anyways so I didnt think much of since it sort of looked like she was getting better after a while. We went to sleep but when my wife woke me in the middle of the night the cat had vomited again and again and it seemed like the last time there was some blood in it too (well basically hard to tell what it was, was dry already but looked like dry blood. certainly nothing much else left in her stomach by now). At the moment she's just hiding under the water boiler, largely unresponsive. She never does that. Now, there's no question Ill be back in at the vet first thing in the morning, but that's still several hours and Im worried sick about her. Anything else I can do now ?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is no emergency vet near you, get her out from under the boiler, and syringe feed her water on a regular basis. She desperately needs to stay hydrated, which may be most of the issue, come to think of it, after all that vomiting. Don't worry so much about syring feeding if you are seeing a vet IN THE MORNING. If not, make a loose slurry of pate style canned food and water, and give her that, as well. This will not fix the problem (unless it is simple dehydration), but it will help keep your baby going until you get to the vet. Also, make sure she isn't getting too hot or too cold. If your house is air conditioned, a snuggly blanket in a box will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobias gruber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually my wife called the vet before we went there and he said its not unusual that the cat gets somewhat sick from it (probably from the rabies injection he thinks, not from the flea stuff) for a day or two_Only dangerous to kittens (but my cat is about 1.5years so its not as bad as it looks).Says just dont give her the medicine for a few days, no food and dont make her drink . She's also quite a bit better already now. The first time she tried drinking everything just came back out after a few minutes but now she seems to keep it in again and looks a lot better.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine vomited, panted, and was itchy from the rabies vaccine. The vet made note of it so we could pretreat with meds next time. There is also a different kind of rabies vaccine that they can use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobias gruber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure if she needs the rabies vaccine anyways .. since we live in taiwan in an area with heaps of street dogs and right on the main street, we dont let her go out. I just didnt get what she was being vaccinated for on the spot because my chinese isnt up to par or I would have asked the vet before she got it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may be laws regarding rabies vaccines. There are in many places. IF you can get someone to help with your language difficulties, do ask your vet (next time) for a NON-adjuvantate vaccine. That's the one that is NOT associated with site sarcomas. Those are fairly rare, but always good to avoid even the possibility when you can!