Cat is scratching surgical site. Typical remedies aren't working.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy recently had biopsy surgery on some masses growing on his neck area, which were ultimately determined to be from lymphoma. Here is a link to to the main thread about his cancer.

I have attached some photos of the area in question. They are healing very well, but he has understandably been scratching at these areas as they heal, and the methods for dealing with the itch have thus far not worked, entirely:

(1) Collars... I really can't use a collar because they would sit directly on the area that is healing, which actually just creates more irritation and makes the underlying issue worse. I have two soft collars that I bought for this purpose, but he just shifts them around on his neck and irritates the area when I try to use them.

(2) Chamomile tea. I got this recommendation from multiple forum members and wanted to give it a legitimate try. I am still giving it a try (I brew the tea fresh, then apply to the area with a cotton ball). It works for about 10 minutes, and then Willy starts scratching with his rear feet.

(3) Trimming nails. I am definitely going to continue doing this. He is scratching with his rear feet, but I am keeping those nails as trimmed as I can.

Willy has not yet opened up any incision or actively made his healing worse, but I am afraid that he may yet do so via his constant scratching.

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat needs a soft bandage around his neck.
A cat of my colony had a similar wound on her neck and she wore this soft bandage for about ten days. She couldn't scratch under the bandage and the wound healed perfectly. The bandage was renewed daily.
Macchia 2021_02_20.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat needs a soft bandage around his neck.
Is this essentially just the same kind of bandage you can buy from any pharmacy, for human use? That's what the bandage looks like in your picture.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this essentially just the same kind of bandage you can buy from any pharmacy, for human use? That's what the bandage looks like in your picture.
Yes, it's the same bandage for human huse.
I don't know the precise definitions and terms in English (I'm Italian), but basically it's a soft and rather thick layer around the neck, and a self-adhesive bandage on the outside. The outer layer can be easily removed, it's non-sticking, but the cat shouldn't be able to get rid of it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are careful, you can use the top of a sock or the sleeve of a cotton shirt. You need a tube of slightly stretchy material, about four inches long to make a cowl neck/ turtle neck. But keep an eye on it after you put it on. Some cats will get a foot stuck. No matter what, don’t tape around the entire neck.