Cat is scared of my lightsaber

solicitorpirate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I bought an expensive replica Lightsaber, which glows bright green and makes the the buzzing sounds like the ones in the movie. Unfortunately, the sounds are really loud and seem to terrify poor Mythal. Is there anything I can do to help acclimatize her to it? I leave the lightsaber around while its switched off, and she has no problem with it (I've even caught her napping near it before). But the moment I turn it on, she darts off.

If you're unfamiliar with the sound a lightsaber makes, it's the same as this video. Specifically, the one to the left, though mine is a lot louder in person:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Jedi knights come in many forms and species but obviously Mythal feels that cats and lightsabers do not mix 
 Is there any way for you to carry on with your training with her out of the room? If she doesn't like the sound, I see no particular reason to get her used to it?

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have very sensitive hearing and can hear high pitched tones that humans cannot. It's possible that your saber is emmitting sounds that negatively affect your cats ears. (the same with dogs). Other than that, most cats don't like loud noises and will run and hide from them. 

Is there a reason why you can't simply turn the sound off when you are around your Mythal?  We all expect our pets to respect us when they do things that annoy us but, all too often, we expect our cats to tolerate our nuisances. It's not too much ask - just respect your cat and avoid subjecting her to it!