Cat is pooping everywhere

cw871

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have a 6 year old cat that recently started crapping all over the house. He's always used the catbox in the past. Nothing has changed. We have a few other cats in the house, but always keep the catbox clean. He poops in different spots around the house. Lately they have been kinda watery. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks!

catty13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ick, what an unpleasant problem for you both. Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. Litterbox-trained cats often defecate in strange places when they've got some sort of intestinal problem going on (could be many different things: consipation, parasites, stomach infection, etc). If it is parasites, though, best to get it resolved quick -- they may be transferrable to your other cats.

If sicknesses have been ruled out, it could be that an extra box might solve the problem. Have you had the other cats for a long time? New cats can sometimes make old cats uncomfortable enough to avoid high-traffic areas like catboxes. (I know one of my own cats has a problem with it getting crowded in *his* catbox room, let alone the catbox itself.) You could try getting him a covered box, too, if he's got space issues. But I'd get him to the vet before anything else.

Good luck!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More than likely health-related- best to have a vet check her out before pursuing other reasons.