cat is on meds now and started picking on smaller cat (but he seems happier)

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do here. My cat Spot is on this medicine that basically keeps him from spewing. He had always seemed depressed before and never ate a whole lot even though he is a big boy. This med is suppose to help move things along to digest. He has turned into this great affectionate feeling better cat. Except....now he is trying to pick on my little girl Zoey...they have always been jealous of eachother. Spot moved in after Zoey so i figured that was her deal, she would kinda bat him away & suck before Spot was on meds. I dunno...should I just do some feliway or something? I mean she is becoming scared of him and sounds like shes being murdered when he goes at her. Shes been hanging out on the top of the cat trees to say the least....Suggestions?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What med is it? There are some that cause mood changes, such as increased aggressiveness. If the medication is causing this you should talk to the vet about it. There may be an alternative that could be worked out.

And yes, do get the feliway going and make sure you have enough for the whole home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
its not so much that he is aggressive. Infact he has been overly friendly and I kinda think he is trying to play with her. I mean he use to try but in a more gentle way or not as often I should say. He runs up to her & makes the little chirpy sound & sum times I think wants to wrestle or something. Now it just seems like he gets excited about he freaking out...so yeh maybe thats his kinda passive aggressiveness? oh & the meds I can't think of the name now (Im not home) but it didn't say anything of the sort when I looked it up before. I kinda think now he feels better and his true colors are coming out!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well aggressive doesn't necessarily mean attacking trying to hurt the other cat.
But as in pushy, more dominate. If there's enough of a change in his behavior and body language, plus his pushiness to interact with other cats, it could definitely upset the household that isn't used to it.

Meds can also change his scent, which a sensitive cat would hate.

You could try bachs rescue remedy in their water, too. It might help everyone settle a little.