Cat is not eating as much and sleeps all day, im worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat forrest was a stray, she was spayed when i found her and ive had her for about a year which is probably close to her age give or take a couple months. Once she fell out of a two story tree because a god forsaken fireman dropped her. She was all right, no obvious limping. About two months ago she started hissing when i would pick her up to take her outside everyday, (she cant go through the living room because our 3 other indoor cats whom she doesnt get along with) i didnt pay it much mind because she wouldnt hiss when i picked her up all the time like when outside trying to take her in. For the past two days she hasnt been eating as much and sleeping ALOT, i havent taken her out cause its been very cold and snowed yesterday. Last time she went, she took a while to go (go as in the litter box) and this morning she threw up the food a couple minutes after eating. Though shes still expressive and shes had her sick days here and there im still wanting to make sure. Please dont get me worried over nothing and i dont allow putting her on meds. Shes a short hair and i rarely give her dry food, normally its 1 1/2 a can of food a day

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I honestly think you need to take Forrest to the vet and have her checked over.  Cats will often hiss when they're in pain, and everything else you've said sends warning bells.

I know you don't want to get worried, but the best way to get unworried is to have her checked over.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I honestly think you need to take Forrest to the vet and have her checked over.  Cats will often hiss when they're in pain, and everything else you've said sends warning bells.

I know you don't want to get worried, but the best way to get unworried is to have her checked over.
This.  Also, have you considered that maybe she just doesn't like to go outside and wants to be an indoor kitty? That could easily explain her hissing when you take her out but not when you bring her in.

Enough is going on, though, that I'm sure a vet visit is in order.  Since the not eating (much) and sleeping a lot more than usual has already gone on more than 48 hours, I would not advise waiting any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others; she needs to be seen by a vet.  
  Cats are notorious for hiding pain.

This seems like a health issue; not behavioral, so I am going to move this to the Health Forum for you.  
  If a thorough vet check shows there is nothing going on health wise; then consider it from a behavioral standpoint (like tulosai said, she may not want to be outdoors) but really, vet check first!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never said i force her to go out, thats WHY she hasnt gone out in the last few days. Anyways, she threw up her food again, so we know its a stomach upset. We're giving her some hardfood with water mixed in and chicken treats on top. We gave her some coconut oil, it'll help if she has a blockage though i doubt that. Now shes lying down in bed with me, i dont suppose anyone can give me better advice other then "go to the vet"?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, none of us (that I know of) are vets, and even if we were, the symptoms as you've presented them are way too vague and could mean too many things for us to try to armchair diagnose.  We have told you that, in our experience, though, the symptoms do merit a trip to the vet.  Any time a cat is not eating, playing (to the extent they usually do for their age), or using the litterbox normally is a cause for serious concern, especially if it persists for more than 24 hours.  Your cat is having all three issues, and for 72 hours now.

Taking just one symptom you describe, vomiting is not normal in a cat. Sometimes it is 'harmless' in a way though.  For example, if a cat scarfs its food down too quickly, it might vomit, and it doesn't mean the cat is seriously ill or requires a vet.  However, the vomiting here isn't in isolation and has happened more than once.  Here are just a few causes of cats vomiting: pancreatitis, diaphragmatic hernia, foreign bodies, heartworm infection, intestinal obstruction, kidney or liver failure, severe constipation, toxicity. or gastric or intestinal tumors.

Now of course, it may just be a harmless bug, but given it's gone on now for 72 hours, that the cat is not improving, and again, that the three main 'warning signs' you should see a vet are met- little appetite, much lower than usual energy, and different litterbox habits- the best advice to you is to see a vet. There are too many popssibilities and you've given us too little information for us to be able to 'diagnose' the cat or offer treatment advice beyond that.

One other thing, though, is that you should be carefully monitoring her to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never said i force her to go out, thats WHY she hasnt gone out in the last few days. Anyways, she threw up her food again, so we know its a stomach upset. We're giving her some hardfood with water mixed in and chicken treats on top. We gave her some coconut oil, it'll help if she has a blockage though i doubt that. Now shes lying down in bed with me, i dont suppose anyone can give me better advice other then "go to the vet"?
There's no better advice other than going to the vet. So go to the vet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are recommending the vet because the things you have described warrant a vet visit.  You've asked for our opinion and we've given you honest answers to the best of our abilities.

TCS's official policy:
 Caring for ones companion animals is a very serious responsibility, and often, in light of that concern, members will create threads seeking information from other members. While we allow and encourage expression of opinions and the recounting of personal experiences, it is the forum's official position that no online advice can ever supercede or replace the care and advice of trained medical professionals who have first hand knowledge of the individual animal's condition. We strongly urge members to refrain from advocating the practice of ignoring medical advice.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this sounds like a health problem rather than a behavioral one. Also, only a vet can properly diagnose and treat your kitty.

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well all i needed to know is that she needed some grass. Not that i need to lug her to the vet. Either way shes all better now, she ate today, went outside and played this afternoon. Shes now curled up with me on the bed. Thanks for the tips but now i know not to come to a forum for advise on my cats help, thanks anyways, as for sleeping more, it was because of the sudden extreme cold temperatures, luckily it was warm today

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Please take personal exchanges to PMs.

As a further note, regardless of how one feels about the responses one gets, please keep in mind that our members give advice to the best of their ability when asked for it, while observing the rule that no veterinary advice may be given, and are deserving of as much respect as they show for the rules. That policy has already been posted once in this thread
Caring for ones companion animals is a very serious responsibility, and often, in light of that concern, members will create threads seeking information from other members. While we allow and encourage expression of opinions and the recounting of personal experiences, it is the forum's official position that no online advice can ever supersede or replace the care and advice of trained medical professionals who have first hand knowledge of the individual animal's condition. We strongly urge members to refrain from advocating the practice of ignoring medical advice.

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry, i didnt mean for my reply to be directed at you. I wasnt trying to insult this forum, i was just disapointed with the advice i got and it came out wrong. I was simply saying that i personally shouldnt be going to a forum for health advice, it wasnt meant to insult anyones advice.

Im not highly dependent on vets or professional opinions, and i should have read the rules and policy to realize that this probably isnt the place i should be looking. This is not at all meant as an insult, and i hadnt meant to insult anyones advice. I was hot under the collar at the time and for that i apolagize

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if you mistrust vets. May I ask why?

Also, what do you mean about her not being able to go through the living room? Is it blocked off to her, or is she afraid to go through there.

The things you've told us, when looking at it from our eyes, sounded like medical intervention was necessary. Even if one of us were a vet, how could we medicate/care for your cat? Can you see how helpless we are, even if we were vets? Just trying to put things in perspective.

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds as if you mistrust vets. May I ask why?

Also, what do you mean about her not being able to go through the living room? Is it blocked off to her, or is she afraid to go through there.

The things you've told us, when looking at it from our eyes, sounded like medical intervention was necessary. Even if one of us were a vet, how could we medicate/care for your cat? Can you see how helpless we are, even if we were vets? Just trying to put things in perspective.
I prefer vets for a last resort, mainly because they perscribe antibiotics which are harmful to the natural immune system. Also, my cats wouldnt be able to stand being handled by a stranger. Usually we give them homeopathic medicine if there is a problem so we prefer to handle these things ourselves.

Shes not able to go through the living room because we have 3 older, indoor cats that she doesnt get along with. This is getting better though.

Sorry if i didn't specify, I was looking more for a tip to help her tummy, also at the time of writing that i was a bit wound up so it probably came out wrong. Shes as happy as can be now though

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A mistrust of vets is all well and good, but unless you are a vet or very knowledgeable about cats and illnesses then surely you need their help?

Cat's can so quickly go downhill because they hide pain. The first we know of something wrong in them is when it's really really wrong and timing is everything. Using homeopathic medicine is great, but in my honest opinion, should only be done when you know what you are dealing with.  Which brings me back to you being a vet..

I think we have a responsibility to our animals and although I know where you are coming from, a lot of modern medicine has helped many an animal - and human  - survive things they may not have. Putting our own distrust over the health of something you are responsible and who is helpless, for me, is not always the best plan of action. Finding out what is wrong before deciding treatment is surely the best plan of action?

I am just glad that grass helped your kitty out and all is well. You were lucky.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics harm the immune system? It sounds like you're saying that antibiotics will always harm the immune system. Maybe I misunderstood?

I agree with Fleabag's Mom. Homeopathy can be dangerous, and especially in the event that a cat needs conventional care.

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes you understood. See, antibiotics kill bacteria, including the good bacteria that humans and animals alike need to digest their food as well as bacteria protecting the immune system, in other words it will make your cat more sick and weaker and it takes a long time for this good bacteria to come back, antibiotics may also have harmful chemicals and drugs that can create problems mentally. Again, this is the same for humans and animals alike.

A lot of what vets, articles, and advertisements tell you isnt actually true. I say its better to know how to fix your cats problems, though, i do agree that if something is wrong, professional attention is needed.

Anyways, if cats are so fragile, tell me how they survived in the wild, dont give me that "we created the 'domestic' cat" thing. The reason i think domestic cats get so sick in modern times is because of the food they're give and the chemical filled medicines vets prescribe. Im not gonna let some stranger handle my cats and give them some unknown syringe. Same with dogs too! What about that stupid Rachel Ray brand dog food that had onions in it, im sure most people here know that dogs and cats cant eat onions.

Again, sorry if any of this sounds offensive to others, its not meant that way, i often have that affect on people. Im merely trying to argue my point.

forest44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We shouldnt be using drugs and chemicals against illnesses, i agree if your under shock inducing pain or on the verge of death but not if its something we can help ourselves! What ever happened to having knowledge!? If we're to be responsible cat owners (and be healthy ourselves) shouldnt we know how to do that?? Should we really put our lives and our companions live in the hands of strangers who could and probably are lying to us? These authority figures aren't giving us good help! There are millions of plants in your back yard that can cure a common could or relieve pain and shock! And what about the fact that doctors prescribe these medications, but people become violently addicted, why do they have such reactions? Because it was made in a lab and the natural immune system cant handle the chemicals, its an alien substance that most certainly should not belong in the body!

Well sorry if this sounds offensive, as usual. but i hope my argument opens some persons eyes, least a bit

Last edited:

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if you cat is fighting some kind of bug it's winter time so it's pretty common for cats to get sick like that right now. I'd advise you to see a vet to see what's going on!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We shouldnt be using drugs and chemicals against illnesses, i agree if your under shock inducing pain or on the verge of death but not if its something we can help ourselves! What ever happened to having knowledge!? If we're to be responsible cat owners (and be healthy ourselves) shouldnt we know how to do that?? Should we really put our lives and our companions live in the hands of strangers who could and probably are lying to us? These authority figures aren't giving us good help! There are millions of plants in your back yard that can cure a common could or relieve pain and shock! And what about the fact that doctors prescribe these medications, but people become violently addicted, why do they have such reactions? Because it was made in a lab and the natural immune system cant handle the chemicals, its an alien substance that most certainly should not belong in the body!

Well sorry if this sounds offensive, as usual. but i hope my argument opens some persons eyes, least a bit
There's lots of plants in your backyard that can also kill your pet. As far as addiction to pain medication, that's due to a high and not pain, and I'd never leave medications out for my cats to self medicate with anyway. I appreciate a hands-on approach in one's animal's care but I honestly feel that your knowledge of pharmacology isn't quite where your confidence level is. Also, your conspiracy theory that all vets are strangers trying to kill my cats on purpose is just a little too much.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.