Cat is making huge progress

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this is the cheapest place to get it, but it's a product called "Feliway" and it is a synthetic hormone that mimics the "friendly" scent markers in cats' cheeks. It can be purchased in a spray bottle (spray it everywhere in the house - every few feet at cat cheek height - it doesn't stain anything that we can find - couches, wood, walls, curtains - we've used it on everything) or in a plug-in "Feliway Comfort Zone), like air freshener. We had one in every room for a while (we've got six cats, all feral rescues, only two rescued at the same time and we've fostered a bunch along the way). It really seemed to help out here. Just don't spray near litterboxes or where they're supposed to scratch. Here's a link: http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html

At the same site, you can find Flower Essences. We used calm and serene for one cat that was having problems with all the other cats and started obsessively licking herself. It seemed to help - but there are lots of choices for multicat houses and feral rescues.

You can also rub the cat or cats the newbie's having problems with - rub them really well with a washcloth or something that was washed without softener (the less "other" scent the better). Put that cloth under a dish that newbie eats from. If you are willing to use more than one peice of cloth or wash cloth or whatever, you can also put treats on it for him (after having rubbed the kittie(s) he's having problems with all over - get their scent good and on it. Works best if it's only one cat, but.... ). The point is to get him to start associating good things with that/those scents.

Same for the cat that's having a problem with newbie. Rub newbie with a wash cloth or whatever, and put it under the food dish of the one that really dislikes him. Same thing for putting out treats.

Also, if you want to look for organizations that can help, use this link:

http://www.pets911.com/organizations/organizations.php

Type in your zip, and start calling. Maybe you can find someone that can foster, or some way of getting out info that there's a feral that needs to be socialized if someone wants to adopt....

You can also contact the Best Friends' No More Homeless Pet Network:

you can either join the network or just e-mail them about the situation. Their may be other network people in your area that might be able to help in some way - either in assuming his foster care or adopting him.

Sorry it's turned into such a stressful thing!

Maybe there's some way you can confine him to one room to help ease the stress levels? Is there a room that the other cat's don't "need" to access? It might help calm everyone down. Just a thought.

Sending lots of calming vibes your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there - and hopefully you can find someone either to adopt him or to assume his foster care. Whatever happens, thanks for helping this guy!

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry - somehow I missed that Stefan answered the Feliway question. But maybe the cat faeries link will help. Petsmart and any petstore I've seen carry it as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow LDG thanks for the tips that's great
They are actually already getting along a bit better. Since I have been home all day again they are getting along much better. I've been giving them all tons of attention and I think they are feeling more secure. I will check out the felifriendly stuff too.

Today we had a vet-on-the-go come in to check him out because we weren't sure what was going on with his back. At first we thought it was matted fur then we thought it was scar tissue then we we had no idea because it all started to fall out in clumps. Well turns out it was just matted fur and the vet shaved all the matted fur off
I am very happy about this. His new fur's going to look great. He also had his nails clipped and was checked out by the vet and given eye drops.

Erica

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat got out about 20 minutes ago and he is very scared and we have no idea where he is. I am worried.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The newbe? Dont worry too much, he is used to manage outside, he shouldnt be harmed and will return when convenient.

Why is he scared? Did something happened??

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thanks, yes the new one. He was scared because I went to look for him in the backyard with the flash light and he ran away really quickly. He's been gone for 9 hours now.

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't come back yet it's been 24 hours. I looked around the neighbourhood during the day and night but couldn't find him.

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't come back yet it's going on three days does anyone have any tips? I'm really worried about him. I miss him so much.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by writergirl

He hasn't come back yet it's going on three days does anyone have any tips? I'm really worried about him. I miss him so much.
Do you have any photos so you can put up posters? I've heard that's the single best way to find a missing cat. I've also heard putting the litter box outside at night so he can find his smell???

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. Yes I'm going to print off a picture of him and make a poster. I'm also going to set the havahart trap and put something out with my scent on it and also something with his scent on it.

I miss him

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One person called about the poster. They saw him 2 days ago a few blocks from my house. I'm going to go out looking for him again tomorrow and put up more posters.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo Hoo!

If you can safely go out fairly late (or early in the morning), that's a prety good time to hunt cats, LOL. When Fwan lost Teufel, she would go out in the middle of the night, and call for him, and she did hear him meow back, but just couldn't figure out where he was...

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks for the idea. That's what I'm planning on doing tonight. I'm going to go out and call for him.

writergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is probably futile but I'm still looking for Chandler 7 months later. I miss him so much
I'm going to make new posters and put them up.

~writer

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by writergirl

It is probably futile but I'm still looking for Chandler 7 months later. I miss him so much
I'm going to make new posters and put them up.

~writer
Aw.
I'm sorry. I hope it will help.