Cat is mad because he can't go outside

calebtrueblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1st Post! Hopefully I can get some insight into my problem. 

I got Moses about 7 years ago as a juvenile. He was a stray that walked into my house to get some food and ended up sticking around. For the past 7 years, he's been predominately indoor, but I do let him back outside when he wants to go (he's fixed and good on shots, heartworm, fleas, etc.). He would usually play in the yard and come in in a couple of hours. A couple overnighters outside, but he usually liked to sleep in the bed. I tried keeping him in, but he would act out by spraying and clawing things I liked. As long as I let him come and go as he pleased, he was a perfectly well behaved and loving cat. 

About 2 months ago he disappeared for a week and of course I figured the worst, I then started seeing him around the neighborhood with other stray cats and he didn't want to come back inside. He would hang out on the porch for a bit and then leave. I finally tricked him into coming inside and now I'm trying to keep him inside for good. Of course, he's acting out and being a terrible annoyance, even started biting me. I can tell he still loves me and he won't leave my side, he just really really wants to go out. He's extremely intelligent, smartest cat I've had by far, so I'm not sure if he's just stir crazy from a lack of stimulation or what. I had another girl cat in the house and they get along well. 

Do you think he'll eventually forget about the great outdoors? If so, how long? Anything I can do to help him feel happier being inside? Thanks!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

1st Post! Hopefully I can get some insight into my problem. 

I got Moses about 7 years ago as a juvenile. He was a stray that walked into my house to get some food and ended up sticking around. For the past 7 years, he's been predominately indoor, but I do let him back outside when he wants to go (he's fixed and good on shots, heartworm, fleas, etc.). He would usually play in the yard and come in in a couple of hours. A couple overnighters outside, but he usually liked to sleep in the bed. I tried keeping him in, but he would act out by spraying and clawing things I liked. As long as I let him come and go as he pleased, he was a perfectly well behaved and loving cat. 

About 2 months ago he disappeared for a week and of course I figured the worst, I then started seeing him around the neighborhood with other stray cats and he didn't want to come back inside. He would hang out on the porch for a bit and then leave. I finally tricked him into coming inside and now I'm trying to keep him inside for good. Of course, he's acting out and being a terrible annoyance, even started biting me. I can tell he still loves me and he won't leave my side, he just really really wants to go out. He's extremely intelligent, smartest cat I've had by far, so I'm not sure if he's just stir crazy from a lack of stimulation or what. I had another girl cat in the house and they get along well. 

Do you think he'll eventually forget about the great outdoors? If so, how long? Anything I can do to help him feel happier being inside? Thanks!
Can you create an outdoor enclosure for him where he can get some 'fresh air' but still be safe and enclosed?  

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think harness and leash training would be worth a shot! Don't get in the habit of taking him out for a walk when he starts exhibiting undesirable behavior like biting, because then he'll believe the biting is what gets him out the door. Just take him for walks at a scheduled time every day. Some cats have no problem with harnesses, others take a while to get used to them and being on a leash. Mostly when cats learn that the harness and leash mean outside time, they're pretty okay with it.

If you don't decide to go on walks, it's still possible he'll adjust to being inside, but it will take a while because cats are very persistent! Providing lots of stimulation and entertainment is key.

If he's food motivated, he might like puzzle toys and balls that you put treats inside of and he has to figure out how to get to them. The ripple rug also seems like a good, interesting toy off the top of my head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calebtrueblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one with a cat door. Really nice cat run with perches to sit on. The helps a little bit, however I have to fix it every couple weeks because he figures out a way to break the locks, zipties, gate, whatever to get out. Little annoying. 

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You really need to work out the reason why he wants to stay outside and deal with that. Has he been neutered? Is he eating away from home? Has he found another home he prefers?

As for taking him out on a leash, unless his reason for going out is genuinely purely for the fresh air, the only benefit will be that you can fool yourself for a while that you are meeting his need to be outside. The actuality will be that his reason for going out will not be met and the acting out will continue.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I think harness and leash training would be worth a shot! Don't get in the habit of taking him out for a walk when he starts exhibiting undesirable behavior like biting, because then he'll believe the biting is what gets him out the door. Just take him for walks at a scheduled time every day. Some cats have no problem with harnesses, others take a while to get used to them and being on a leash. Mostly when cats learn that the harness and leash mean outside time, they're pretty okay with it.

If you don't decide to go on walks, it's still possible he'll adjust to being inside, but it will take a while because cats are very persistent! Providing lots of stimulation and entertainment is key.

If he's food motivated, he might like puzzle toys and balls that you put treats inside of and he has to figure out how to get to them. The ripple rug also seems like a good, interesting toy off the top of my head.
Leash training could be a good idea.  If your kitty can get some time outside, he may be happier.  This article may give you some ideas:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/harness-and-leash-training-for-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calebtrueblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

You really need to work out the reason why he wants to stay outside and deal with that. Has he been neutered? Is he eating away from home? Has he found another home he prefers?

As for taking him out on a leash, unless his reason for going out is genuinely purely for the fresh air, the only benefit will be that you can fool yourself for a while that you are meeting his need to be outside. The actuality will be that his reason for going out will not be met and the acting out will continue.
He's neutered. I don't think he has another home, there are a lot of barns and sheds around here to sleep in and he's a great hunter, so he's probably eating mice, rabbits, and birds. 

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He's neutered. I don't think he has another home, there are a lot of barns and sheds around here to sleep in and he's a great hunter, so he's probably eating mice, rabbits, and birds. 
Ah, OK, it looks like he has decided on a certain lifestyle. In which case your options are either to keep him in permanantly or to let him have his freedom and try to encourage him to spend time with you.