cat is losing weight fast (a pound in 2 days)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

DarlaS-

Just wondering if Casper could have a severe ear infection. You mentioned his balance is off and it seems that he can't see well. My oldest kitty suddenly lost her balance, as well as about a pound of weight in less than a week. It turned out that she had a middle-inner ear infection that affected her balance to the point that she'd actually fall while trying to walk. She was burning up calories like crazy because her body was fighting the infection. The neurologist who diagnosed this condition prescribed an antibiotic called Zeniquin. Though my girl had a setback about two weeks into the treatment, she steadily got better, and began to regain her weight.
Her infection is chronic, which unfortunately isn't unusual, so she remains on Zeniquin.

There's another condition, called vestibular disease. It's kind of odd, since it most often occurs in the fall and can come on suddenly. Meds are usually not prescribed for this since it clears up by itself in about a month, but it affects balance as well.

It's worthwhile asking your vet about the possibility of some type of neurological disorder - but I'm a little surprised he wouldn't have mentioned that to you given that Casper as you say, doesn't seem to have control over his body movements. The ideal situation is to have Casper seen by a feline neurologist.

You are *wonderful* to stick by your little guy through all this and I very much admire your positive attitude. I'm glad you're fighting for him. You're truly this little guy's best friend.
Now that is such a great thought! Remember that balance problems could also cause nausea - therefore not eating - and maybe the "not moving" thing is voluntary because it makes him feel icky! That's why I love this site so much!