Cat is limping and randomly cried earlier while just laying around

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really stressed out and have no idea what to do. Flakes is ~12 years old and he developed a limp recently. I noticed it yesterday and it's still there today. He was acting normally yesterday - eating, drinking, pooping, etc. Today he seems worse. He ate all of his breakfast but none of his lunch. I have not seen him use the litter box but I may have missed it. I just scooped and will keep an eye on it to see if it gets used at all.

He was laying under the bed earlier (his favorite spot) and cried (meowed very loudly 3 times in a row). I went in there and he was just laying there looking comfy with his legs kicked out to the side. He didn't seem like he was in pain but I just don't know. My husband is at work until 6pm today and works Monday - Saturday from 9am to 6pm (and has to take the car) so our only option today is the all night emergency vet OR we can take him to Banfield at Petsmart tomorrow. Should we do that? Would they be able to help?

FWIW, Flakes' last vet visit was the day after Thanksgiving and he was given a clean bill of health, his blood work was great, and he received vaccine boosters. He got sick after the visit but we don't know if the vaccines caused it or just stress. He eats Friskies canned food every day and freeze dried chicken for treats, never any kibble.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it too late to call your regular vet and see what they think? I would personally wait and see in this situation. It doesn't sound like an emergency to me unless he completely stops eating or using the litter box for 24 hours.

And Banfield has a really bad reputation... I would hold off on going there if at all possible.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the statement about Banfield. I'd opt for the emergency vet if it becomes an emergency.  Banfield only as a last resort.  Be aware they are very pushy.  They tried to give my Nat, who was sick which is why I brought him in on a Sunday, a rabies shot.  (He got it 3 months later by my own vet.)  They should know better than to try and give a sick cat a rabies shot!  

Hope your kitty gets better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it too late to call your regular vet and see what they think? I would personally wait and see in this situation. It doesn't sound like an emergency to me unless he completely stops eating or using the litter box for 24 hours.

And Banfield has a really bad reputation... I would hold off on going there if at all possible.
Yeah, they're closed from Friday night at 6pm until Monday morning at 9am. Thanks for the heads up on Banfield. I didn't want to take him there anyway since it's a 20+ minute drive and Flakes HATES car rides.

I second the statement about Banfield. I'd opt for the emergency vet if it becomes an emergency.  Banfield only as a last resort.  Be aware they are very pushy.  They tried to give my Nat, who was sick which is why I brought him in on a Sunday, a rabies shot.  (He got it 3 months later by my own vet.)  They should know better than to try and give a sick cat a rabies shot!  

Hope your kitty gets better!
Thank you for the heads up. It sucks that they're one of the few vets open on Sundays. :( We have been to the emergency vet here once and they are fantastic although very expensive so it's an option if he gets worse.

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I managed to get a short video where you can kind of see the limp. He knew I was watching, though, so he's trying not to show it. He also did just poop, still waiting to see if he can pee. That's the biggest thing I'm worried about is that he might have a urinary blockage. I felt his stomach and didn't feel anything odd but I don't know what I'm really feeling for either.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor sweet kitty!  From this video, I think his limp could wait until Monday, unless anything more urgent happens.  My Oreo had a limp a few weeks ago on his front leg and I called the vet to make an appt.  But before the vet could get here the limp went away.  I'm still keeping an eye on him.  Funny how you said he knew you were watching him so he was trying to behave!  Sometimes I think they know.  I was careful not to tell Oreo, though! 

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Aww, poor sweet kitty!  From this video, I think his limp could wait until Monday, unless anything more urgent happens.  My Oreo had a limp a few weeks ago on his front leg and I called the vet to make an appt.  But before the vet could get here the limp went away.  I'm still keeping an eye on him.  Funny how you said he knew you were watching him so he was trying to behave!  Sometimes I think they know.  I was careful not to tell Oreo, though! 
Thanks, this made me feel a lot better! Flakes seems to be doing better, he's not limping as much as he was earlier today and he ate all of his lunch. He's being all cuddly and lovable now that my husband is home from work as well. I'm hoping it's just a sprain or something mild that will go away on its own but I'll keep an eye on him. 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looking at the video he seems to have a limp on his left leg.  This could be due to a number of things, including damage to the hip joint or even a slipped disk. 

I am a human doctor, not a cat doctor but If the limp is still persisting, then the best advice that I can give you is to take him back to your vet for a check as he appeared to be in pain when he first developed the limp, even though he does not seem to be in any severe pain when the video was taken.  As Ginny says, there is no great urgency, but you don't want him to have a recurrence of the original pain when your usual vet is closed! 

With best wishes,

Geoffrey