Cat is limping and feeling unwell

missyann37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Jack is 3.5 years old. He is neutered with all his shots and we recently moved, he is an indoor outdoor cat since we live in a rural area. He had a fight with a cat and he got an abscess on the base of his tail. I cleaned it, twice a day every day for 3 days. it got worse then it got better. I used 1 percent lidocaine for pain around his sore and flushed it out with saline. it eventually got better however, the area where he had the abscess is hot and he is limping. He is just not moving much sleeping lots and its just not like him. can an abscess come back? Is his limping connected? I live far away from a vet. I thought if I can find some answer on here it would be muchly appreciated.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly believe that your cat's life may defend on seeing a vet.  It sounds to me as if the abscess has most definitely returned and he could possibly have sepsis.  I'm curious to know, too . . .  where do you get injectable lidocaine?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missyann37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didnt realize a abscess can come back. I will go see my vet on Monday then. I am very worried about him. And about the lidocaine, we can get the salve over the counter at pharmacies here in canada.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize you were in Canada and that you were using topical lidocaine.  I thought you were trying to take matters into your own hands and injecting your cat with lido.  I apologize if I sounded odd in my first post.

Thanks for being such a wonderful custodian to your cat.  He's lucky to have you!.

Be sure to let us know what your vet said.

Fingers crossed for your boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missyann37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I did take him to the vet. My cat got antibiotics, and his abscess got cleaned. i gave him his antibiotics 3 times a day. by the 3rd day he was his old self. his abscess is healing nicely. Thanks for your concern and help