Cat Is Holding Mouth Open, Drooling, Lethargic

Ailsa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (about 12 years old) recently started holding his mouth open, drooling out of one side of his mouth, and retreating from action a bit. A few days ago this started, he hid in the basement all day and when I tried to get a closer look at his mouth, he pulled away and would not let me touch it. That seemed to go away by the next day, but now it’s happening again. He seems to not want to be around people, and definitely not be touched. He isn’t having any trouble eating. I don’t think it is him smelling something like cats do sometimes with their mouth open, because he leaves it open for a long time, and doesn’t seem like he’s investigating anything. Any ideas on what may be wrong?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any time a cat has visible signs of distressed the problem is likely far more advanced then what we could do for you here unfortunately. I could ask when was his last vet visit? Has he had bloodwork recently? A dental cleaning? Regardless, he needed a vet a few days ago when he hid all day.

Cats do everything possible to mask their discomfort, pain, illness so when you SEE symptoms it has likely been building up for some time, months even.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that a vet visit is in order. Hopefully it is nothing serious, sending him best wishes. do keep us updated! :crossfingers:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of these signs are a huge red flag that something is amiss and a vet visit is in order sooner rather than later.