Cat Is Hiding From New Puppy

cocosnumberone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I was hoping anyone could help me out. I have had my american short haired male cat for about 3.5 years. He has a very mellow personality and gets scared of almost everything. I curently live in a studio apartment in Asia and have recently adpoted a pembroke welsh corgi thats about 12 weeks old. The puppy is locked away in a safe area at home and isn't allowed out yet. At first my cat was scared, but curious. He would sniff the puppy and go near her and then run away. It's been about 5 days since the puppy and starting yesterday my cat has began to hide under the bed and wont come out. I lure him out and he will come out for a little while and when the puppy makes any kind of noise will go back to hiding. What can I do to help my cat and how long does it take for him to get somewhat adjusted to life with a new puppy? I am just worried that my cat is stressed and he will develop medical problems. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's natural for cats to be wary of dogs at first, and especially puppies, as they're generally less coordinated and predictable in their movements, not to mention being full of that adorable hyper puppy energy :jump:

Make sure you have plenty of high places avaible for you cat to observe from - cats often do best being able to get up high and observe in safety. Cat trees are great for this, but the tops of sturdy bookshelves, wardrobes or other furniture are great too - just make sure he has safe access. Wall mounted shelves can be a good option too, and have the advantage of not taking up valuable floor space. There are tons of ideas here: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Work from right now at training your puppy, as basic obedience makes a HUGE difference in cat to dog introductions. Clicker training is the best and easiest way to train a dog, and gets quick results and a dog that can't wait to train and please you :D The essentials are 'sit', 'down', 'stay', 'no/leave (it)' and 'come', and, of course, leash training. 'Watch/watch me' can be invaluable too, especially when you need to redirect or refocus your pup's attention. I always start dog-to-cat introductions with the dog on a leash for extra security and peace of mind, and if I'm at all unsure about the dog's reaction (or my ability to keep hold of it if it lunged forward suddenly), I'll start with the dog in a crate and the cat loose.

I crate train all my dogs as a matter of course, making it a really positive place to be (by always feeding in the crate and never using it as a punishment), and every dog I've had adores their crate as a result, and will choose to go in there on their own when they want a nap or just some peace and quiet.

I try to set up cat and dog meetings at times when the dog is tired and ready for a nap (such as right after a walk, a play session or a training session). Sleepy dogs are far less threatening, and make it far easier for the cat to gain confidence around them. Use interactive play or treats to distract your cat and help them gain confidence and associate the dog with good things.

Block off under the bed for now, as well as any other low hiding places. Instead, try to encourage your cat to use the higher vantage points, using lots of praise and treats. Interactive play is a wonderful stress buster and confidence builder, so make sure to have daily playtime with your boy. If you can get Feliway diffusers where you are, then try those too. They don't work for all cats, but they can make a big difference to those who respond to them.

These articles should give you some more tips and ideas:-
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Cats and dogs can (and do) live very happily together - it just takes time, thought and care, especially in the early stages. Stay calm, stay patient and give it time. 5 days is no time at all as far as your cat's concerned. He will adapt so long as you give him the time he needs and so long as you put the work and training in with your puppy.

Oh, and please post some pictures :camera: They both sound adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocosnumberone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's natural for cats to be wary of dogs at first, and especially puppies, as they're generally less coordinated and predictable in their movements, not to mention being full of that adorable hyper puppy energy :jump:

Make sure you have plenty of high places avaible for you cat to observe from - cats often do best being able to get up high and observe in safety. Cat trees are great for this, but the tops of sturdy bookshelves, wardrobes or other furniture are great too - just make sure he has safe access. Wall mounted shelves can be a good option too, and have the advantage of not taking up valuable floor space. There are tons of ideas here: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Work from right now at training your puppy, as basic obedience makes a HUGE difference in cat to dog introductions. Clicker training is the best and easiest way to train a dog, and gets quick results and a dog that can't wait to train and please you :D The essentials are 'sit', 'down', 'stay', 'no/leave (it)' and 'come', and, of course, leash training. 'Watch/watch me' can be invaluable too, especially when you need to redirect or refocus your pup's attention. I always start dog-to-cat introductions with the dog on a leash for extra security and peace of mind, and if I'm at all unsure about the dog's reaction (or my ability to keep hold of it if it lunged forward suddenly), I'll start with the dog in a crate and the cat loose.

I crate train all my dogs as a matter of course, making it a really positive place to be (by always feeding in the crate and never using it as a punishment), and every dog I've had adores their crate as a result, and will choose to go in there on their own when they want a nap or just some peace and quiet.

I try to set up cat and dog meetings at times when the dog is tired and ready for a nap (such as right after a walk, a play session or a training session). Sleepy dogs are far less threatening, and make it far easier for the cat to gain confidence around them. Use interactive play or treats to distract your cat and help them gain confidence and associate the dog with good things.

Block off under the bed for now, as well as any other low hiding places. Instead, try to encourage your cat to use the higher vantage points, using lots of praise and treats. Interactive play is a wonderful stress buster and confidence builder, so make sure to have daily playtime with your boy. If you can get Feliway diffusers where you are, then try those too. They don't work for all cats, but they can make a big difference to those who respond to them.

These articles should give you some more tips and ideas:-
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Cats and dogs can (and do) live very happily together - it just takes time, thought and care, especially in the early stages. Stay calm, stay patient and give it time. 5 days is no time at all as far as your cat's concerned. He will adapt so long as you give him the time he needs and so long as you put the work and training in with your puppy.

Oh, and please post some pictures :camera: They both sound adorable!
Wow this is such great advice! Thank you so much for your thoughtful response I really appreciate it. I will definitely try my best training my new puppy and helping my cat adjust to the new member of the family. Thank you again for your advice! Here are some pictures of Coco and Dolce! Dolce sprained her wrist while playing and had to have it bandaged! I love them both and would hate to have to give one up because they cant get along!

Attachments

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck - I hope to see a pic of them together playing or sleeping before too long.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:loveeyes::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::loveeyes: SO cute, especially Dolce with that bandage :redheartpump: I really hope she heals up fast :vibes:

I'm sure you'll do great with training Dolce, and with helping Coco adjust to life with a dog around. In time they'll settle together, and may even become best friends :D Stay calm, stay patient, stay confident and you'll get there :agree:

I had great fun with 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog:Amazon:Books It has great pointers on clicker training in general, and takes you through a lot of the basics as well as more fun stuff (along with some that you'll likely never use :wink:). I'm sure her basic dog training book is great too Dog Training 101: Step-by-Step Instructions for raising a happy well-behaved dog:Amazon:Books