Cat Is Going In His Box But Not Eliminating?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm taking care of a semi-feral foster kitty, who I brought home last night. He went in his litterbox a half hour after we got back, but didn't eliminate. I let him sleep on his own last night because he would only come out if I wasn't in the room, and he got in his litterbox again around 4am. At first glance it really looked like he had pooped because he'd kicked the sand around quite a lot, but the box is totally empty.

I know it's normal for a shy cat to hide and not use their box when they get to a new place, but I'm not quite sure that's what's happening here. I do know that he was sitting in a trap for about 10 hours before I got him, and didn't eliminate at all. This means we're going on nearly 30 hours without peeing or pooping. I'm getting worried he might have a UTI, but can't mitigate symptoms when he won't eat or drink.

This is my first time caring for a semi-feral and my first time introducing a cat into my home this abruptly - my other cat adopted me and moved herself in so that was a totally different situation. Is his behavior relatively normal for a very scared semi-feral or is he ill? I'm worried because he should be eliminating if he'll get into his box.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a vet visit is in order. Usually if the cat doesnt feel like they should go they won't go to the litter box. Since hehis trying it makes me think it could a UTI or constipation. Either way, a vet would be better then trying to home diagnose and getting it wrong.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he had any history of using a litter box, or he came straight from outside? Maybe adding some dirt to the litter box will feel more natural to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His original owner (who found him as a street kitten and raised him) says he's totally litter-trained, and he hasn't had any accidents despite being under tremendous stress. The person who adopted him later also told me that he didn't eliminate, eat or drink for 2 days after she got him and the rescue I'm in touch with him doesn't seem overly concerned.

My boyfriend's mom has a declawed cat who we have boarded before, and he acts much the same way - hides, refuses to eat, gets in his box but doesn't poop for a couple days. I was wondering if I was overreacting because I have a tendency to seriously overmonitor my cat's bathroom habits. I agree that a vet will be necessary if he doesn't go in a few hours, though.

The good news is that he's moved from his hiding spot under my dresser to under the bed, where his blankets and toys are. So hopefully he is getting a little less fearful and will go in his box soon...finger crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I've been keeping a close eye on him and he hasn't been hopping in and out of the box and hasn't peed inappropriately anywhere. I'm wondering if he's hesitant to eliminate because I'm using one of my cat's old litterboxes that I bleached out - maybe it still smells like her?

Would trying out a disposable box be a good idea?