Cat is Giving Birth

JulesAnny1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so my cat is in labor and she has been for the past 3 hours. Her water broke about 2:15 hours ago and then this came out of her. I dont know what's going on.
1000016854.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know how far along into her pregnancy she is?

Is she still in active labour now? Panting and straining to give birth? Can you see or feel kittens moving inside her?

That looks like either a very premature kitten or an aborted fetus. If she's not close to her due date she could have miscarried one kitten, but have other healthy kittens inside her.

If you're at all concerned that you cat is still actively in labour and struggling please call a vet.

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulesAnny1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know how far along into her pregnancy she is?

Is she still in active labour now? Panting and straining to give birth? Can you see or feel kittens moving inside her?

That looks like either a very premature kitten or an aborted fetus. If she's not close to her due date she could have miscarried one kitten, but have other healthy kittens inside her.

If you're at all concerned that you cat is still actively in labour and struggling please call a vet.

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - TheCatSite
She is calm now. The thing is that im not sure how far along she is. I feel that it's between week 5-7. I can feel another kitten inside her but I dont feel much movement.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's still quite early to go into labour. Average gestation time for cats is 65 days.

My guess is that she spontaneously aborted a fetus that wasn't developing properly. There's a good chance that she will continue with the rest of her pregnancy without any problems, but if she seems to be in distress at all I recommend you take her to your vet. Sometimes things go wrong and the cat will require a c-section.

Take a look at some of our articles so you know what to look out for.

Pregnant Cats And Kittens Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
From my experience with feral litters, I am going to agree with it being a spontaneously aborted fetus. I am not a vet, but the premature kittens I have seen did not look like that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s a miscarried placenta and an empty sac where a developing kitten would normally be. It’s not unusual for a cat to miscarry a genetically abnormal embryo or fetus, and yet continue normally with the rest of the pregnancy. It’s Mother Nature’s way of expressing “survival of the fittest.”

Do keep us posted as to how things go moving forward.