Cat is blocking AGAIN going into the holidays and a major winter storm!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the LAST thing we needed right now-- both in terms of logistics (holiday weekend, massive winter storm coming, vet is closed after today), and financially (we had 2 cats need surgeries this year that tapped us out). Our cat Sam is blocking again (the last time was right before Thanksgiving)! We noticed he was in the litter box extra long last night, and then noticed some watery blood on the floor near the box. Then we noticed him in the litter box a few more times last night, with nothing coming out. And again this morning with possibly a small quarter-sized pee coming out. He's been on prescription UR food exclusively for a month, so I don't know why this is happening again!

We have to feed him and give him gabapentin to make him sleepy before bringing him into the vet, because we can't touch him and just pick him up. It's traumatic for both him and us. And if he's sick again, we can't give him meds or fluids like a normal cat. We're so upset this is happening again! The last time this happened our vet said his penis opening was small but he wasn't a good candidate for surgery to fix it. He's a happy cat who loves his blind mom (who also lives with us), but we just have a "no touch" rule with him. He makes things so difficult. Hopefully the vet can flush him out and give him some meds to get us through the holiday weekend. Wish us luck!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! Seriously hoping for the best!!

Is he dropping his behind when he's in the litterbox and picking up bacteria that way? I had to start keeping the level of litter pretty low for my boy.

Maybe when things calm down a bit you can look into things here, on the chance there's something that might be useful;

This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com
Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried.

Sending prayers 🙏💗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my! Seriously hoping for the best!!

Is he dropping his behind when he's in the litterbox and picking up bacteria that way? I had to start keeping the level of litter pretty low for my boy.

Maybe when things calm down a bit you can look into things here, on the chance there's something that might be useful;

This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com
Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried.

Sending prayers 🙏💗
We do have 2 water fountains and bowls all over-- the litter is an interesting idea, though! He's long-haired and sometimes he doesn't keep himself super clean!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update: The vet said he was not blocked, had no debris in his penis, and no urine in his bladder (so he has urinated!). They think he passed a crystal or stone (UR diet might be taking a while to work) OR he has that urgency to urinate that some cats develop. They gave him a steroid injection, antibiotics, and fluids and told us not to worry if we see him in the box straining over the weekend. His appetite is good so we'll try to get the antibiotic into his food starting tomorrow.

At least he's not blocking! Hopefully we just enjoy the long holiday weekend!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad you got him to the vet and that it's not a blockage. That's great news, especially with the weather and Christmas holiday coming. Do you run any calming agents in your home such as Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers? I have a cat who will make frequent trips to the litter box and produce very small pee puddles when she's stressed. Paid the vet to tell me she was "just stressed". Gah! lol Anyway, we made sure our diffusers were full and running and also gave her some Peacemaker drops for a few days and things went back to normal.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got him to the vet and that it's not a blockage. That's great news, especially with the weather and Christmas holiday coming. Do you run any calming agents in your home such as Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers? I have a cat who will make frequent trips to the litter box and produce very small pee puddles when she's stressed. Paid the vet to tell me she was "just stressed". Gah! lol Anyway, we made sure our diffusers were full and running and also gave her some Peacemaker drops for a few days and things went back to normal.
We do have a feliway plugin and will move it to the room where the litter boxes are for him. Great idea! He's generally an anxious cat so this could be just stress for him, too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
profcat profcat You may need more than 1 in your home. We have 3 in my house. Also, if there's been a change in your household routine or different people coming in and out due to the holidays, that could add stress to your kitty. If you're stressed, your kitty will also pick up on that.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We do have a feliway plugin and will move it to the room where the litter boxes are for him. Great idea! He's generally an anxious cat so this could be just stress for him, too.
Even though we're doing very little for Christmas (nothing out of the ordinary anyway) I definitely "feel it" in the air. I wonder if just a change in the atmosphere is enough to stress him out. My Mom had a cat when I was growing up that was so sensitive to that kind of thing that she made him a special spot in his favorite place (her closet!) he liked to hide in. He'd retreat to that spot and the #1 house rule was if he retreated, kids were NOT to bother him.
I'm so happy he's not blocked, and I hope he feels 100% better and you all have a great holiday weekend :)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though we're doing very little for Christmas (nothing out of the ordinary anyway) I definitely "feel it" in the air. I wonder if just a change in the atmosphere is enough to stress him out. My Mom had a cat when I was growing up that was so sensitive to that kind of thing that she made him a special spot in his favorite place (her closet!) he liked to hide in. He'd retreat to that spot and the #1 house rule was if he retreated, kids were NOT to bother him.
I'm so happy he's not blocked, and I hope he feels 100% better and you all have a great holiday weekend :)
Was wondering the exact same thing! Cats are so sensitive to vibes. Sometime I have to “de-vibe” myself so Zorro doesn’t pick up on anything, like if we’re going to the v-e-t.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are having a quiet holiday at home with no guests. Just planning to go see family at their home on Christmas morning. He is VERY sensitive to everything, though. He had breakfast yesterday morning but has not eaten since he was at the vet. The vet said gabapentin would stay in his system 12-24 hours and he still seems a bit dopey. He ignored the dry food snack I just tried to give him. Let's see if he eats his wet food at breakfast time. Not sure why he's not eating because he was before this, but could be the residual stress from the appointment.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thought-- I did read the convenia injection, which they gave him yesterday, can make them nauseated and lose their appetite. He seems like he feels yucky to me. But at least we know he isn't blocking. Poor Sam.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully he doesn't have a stronger reaction to the convenia :vibes::crossfingers:
I called and spoke with the vet and it wasn't convenia. It was another antibiotic injection. The vet thinks the gabapentin really threw him for a loop.

He did come out last night and ate a little supper, but no interest in dry food at all. I set up the pet camera (it records whenever there is movement) and he did go in and out of the litter box every couple of hours during the night. There was a small pee in that box when I got up and checked this morning. So he's still straining/has an urgency to urinate, but I do not believe he is blocked. He didn't want a dry food snack today, but I did catch him drinking water, which is good. Hopefully he'll eat more.

We just want to avoid an ER visit at all costs-- he is essentially feral and very difficult to handle. And he's not reacting well to gabapentin. Our vet is open Monday morning so please cross your fingers and paws until then!

Last edited:

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update: He's still going back and forth to the box and only peeing small amounts at a time, BUT he has also started eating and acting more normal. And he's drinking lots of water-- which is ideal because we can't give him fluids. He must know he needs it. We'll call and check in with the vet in the morning, but overall he seems to be improving!