Cat is bitting

tereik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, i have a 5 month old female cat and she started biting my hands. She can purr, but bit, she can lick your hand but also bit. She isn’t angry and i don’t beat her, she likes me. But this bitting thing is getting very annoying, especially when you’re trying to sleep, sometimes it’s hard to control yourself after this kind of stuff.

Please help.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is seeing your fingers as toys or prey that is why she's biting them. If she does play bite try not to move your fingers and you will probably notice she will let go. This problem can be solved by finding replacement toys. The best are the fishing pole toys. I would get maybe 2 different types and play with her with the toys. You can also try to suspend one of the poles somewhere where she can grab on to the end herself.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she's trying to 'suckle' on you like she did with her cat mom. The best thing to do is keep an appropriate toy nearby to redirect her onto, and not allow ANY mouth contact with you (including licking). It's far easier to set boundaries when they're really clear, so zero mouth contact will be the best way to retrain her. Every time she starts licking you, gently remove your hand and replace it with a toy. It may take a while, but she will get the message in the end.

In the meantime, look on this as an expression of her love for you :heart4:[article="32493"][/article][article="32827"][/article][article="29678"][/article]

Playtime is always important - especially with kittens. These articles have some great tips on how you and she can get the most out of her play sessions...and how to avoid getting caught up in that pesky play aggression ;)[article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22328"][/article]

sparks17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Sophie is 7 months old and has always been a biter.  She's gotten a lot better with it as she's gotten older.  Usually, telling her "NO" in a firm tone of voice will get her to stop, but if she doesn't, I'll a put a bit of perfume or bitter apple spray on my hands and she'll leave them alone.

As others have said, toys are a good way to help curb the biting behavior.  One toy Sophie loved was a laser pointer - she could chase it around the room and it would burn out some of her energy.

Also, at  5 months old, your kitten is probably teething. Around 5 months of age, kittens start growing in their adult premolars.  When Sophie was 5 months old, she chewed on everything - hands, feet, cords, plastic, the faucet in the bathroom sink, my phone, etc.   Make sure your kitten has some soft toys to bite.  A doggy chewing rope would work well. 

Hopefully this is a behavior your kitten will outgrow! Until then, some of these suggestions should help!