Cat is all of a sudden lethargic

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your situation describes my cat perfectly. Always a bouncy ,playful kitty (she is 4 years old and in/was in good health). She was so lethargic,(began all of a sudden) that I took her to the vet three days ago. She needed an enema.They did x-rays first(all good) ,and blood work (all good). They gave her a shot for nausea and for hydrated her.Brought her home and after an evening of still having bowel movements,poor little thing finally slept. Yesterday,still lethargic,with slight improvement. Same today. She is ,thankfully ,eating. But still not her old self. She is up to date on shots and gets Revolution monthly.NEVER goes outside. This is NOT my Lulu. Very concerned. Do not kow what else to do. Have spent almost 900.00 on her this week. Out of funds.Really do not  know what else to do for her. (Forgot to mention.She is on Purina Pro Plan for hairball control. Has been on that for over two years. She is longhair and gets brushed regularly,to keep hairballs at a minimum)

cat grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has same symptoms and situation i took to vet and they found high white cells and low blood pallette and sent home with antibiotics and iv bag we have to insert under skin but cat i getting worse any ideas please help

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty is sick too.How long has she been on antibiotics?She has to have them regularly as prescribed and it usually takes two days,they say to get in her system good. I always ask the vet to just go ahead and give her an antibiotic shot in his office ,if he feels it's the thing to do..It last for two weeks and saves stress on her and us,trying to get a pill down her. I sure hope your kitty gets better soon. It's worrisome and it's scary. These are our furry babies. Have you hydrated her with the bag of fluid ? Is she peeing or pooping? If you see the cat 's condition is worse,please call the vet,if they can be reached. Mine is eating wet cat food with about a tsp of warm water added to it 3xdaily.Is your kitty eating? Actually she is licking the juice/gravy. She eats dry otherwise. She is till not energetic.Vet called earlier to check on her and said to give it until Monday.If she wasn't back to her old self by then ,she has to go back. I am praying she will be. I wish I could be more help.

Last edited:

cat grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hasnt eaten for two days or drink water. Just started antibiotics and 90 cc of fluid under skin today but he is getting worse before our eyes. He urinates but very little and seems to strain to do that. Family member said mite be uti but he doesnt have all symptoms.He doesnt even react to noise. Hes only a yr and half. We have had him since 3 wks. Got him when we lost our mama kitty to cancer. Love our babies.

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat had a UTI..strained to urinate and made frequent trips to the litter box.Always seemed in pain while going.With each cat different symptoms. There is a shot the vet can give for that,so you won't have to give him a pill each day. I would get in touch with the vet as soon as I could. Have you tried chicken Stage 2 pureed) baby food with about a tsp of warm water.I would start him off on about 1/3 jar and then in a few hours offer him some again. He has to have nourishment or his liver will stop working and he will die.
  • Lacking food, the body starts sending fat cells to the liver to process into lipoproteins for fuel.
  • Cats' livers are not terribly efficient at processing fat, and much of the fat is stored in the liver cells.
  • Left untreated, eventually the liver fails and the cat dies.  This is called lipidosis. I would keep him in a quiet place..
Will he eat tuna fish? or even the juice off it?

Last edited: