Cat Is Aggressive

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is being aggressive towards my brother who is visiting and now myself. He was here once when she was scared by something outside and I think she associated him with the incident. This was months ago though.
She now is hissing and trying to swat at me and she is hissing at my brother. I can't even get up our stairs because she sits at the middle or top hissing and growling.

This is especially disconcerting because I am expecting and this behavior is extremely scary for me. I can't run around her and I'm worried about the future with her having these episodes if my brother comes. She doesn't do this with anyone else. He never hurt her or anything...

Help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...this is kinda long-term planning, but can your brother leave a dirty shirt (a tee shirt, perhaps) with you when he leaves? Place the shirt in one of your cat's favorite spots. Give her treats there on a regular basis. The plan here is to get her to associate your brother's scent with good things happening.

Also, and this is a technique we use with ferals who have been brought into homes, as well, have your brother sit on the floor in the same room as your cat, and the two of you converse...use soft voices, move slowly. THINK how terrifying a standing human must look to a cat who doesn't trust that human to begin with. Do this as often as possible.

Slow and steady...