Cat Is Aggressive To Humans

DustyandKobe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14-year old male cat that will randomly attack me and frighten guests. It is like a switch is flipped and he'll go after me, biting me and breaking skin. This occurs sometimes after he wants to be pet (I understand that I should not pet him), but other times just randomly, for example if I am sitting nearby. I can usually see that he gets angry and is about to attack. I have tried the following approaches: 1) run and hide in a nearby closet until he calms down or goes away (he will chase after me hissing and trying to bite) or 2) sternly say no and try to hold my ground (this ended poorly last night with a bite to my arm), or 3) put a pillow in between myself and him and try to push him away mid-attack. This is horrible and very scary.

This cat also becomes very aggressive when guests come over. He spends the first day of their visit hissing and blocking their entrance into certain rooms, etc. Oddly, he doesn't just run away-he wants to be right in the action to hiss and scare the guest.

When he goes to the vet, he needs to be sedated through his cat bag in order to be looked at.

Any suggestions? I plan to have kids in a few years and can't put up with this behavior. Would an antidepressant help? We have another cat and they get along just fine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was the last time he had a full checkup? I know it's hard, but hey, as long as he's sedated they should be able to give a pretty thorough exam. Chronic pain can cause aggression.

Has he always been this way? If not, when did it start? Is he neutered?

I would put him in a bedroom with the door closed when you have guests. No reason to let him be stressed and them be scared.

Not to be morbid or anything, but at his age he probably will only live another 3 years or so, so if your plans for kids are a few years in the future it's probable that you won't have to worry about him.

I think it's worth trying antianxiety meds. He isn't happy either.

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh you poor thing! I have to admit I laughed a little at the thought of you hiding in the cupboard but it does sound like a horrible situation!

Have you tried Feliways diffuser? I’m with the poster above in checking for chronic pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DustyandKobe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he has always been like this. I am newish to the situation- he has been passed through my boyfriend's family and I have seen the behavior firsthand for about a year now. He has warmed up to me a lot over the past year and comes for cuddles in the morning (leading to my love-hate relationship with him). He was originally a rescue and is neutered.

He had a UTI last December and had to go to the vet twice. While he was sedated, they were able to do an exam and bloodwork (although of course it showed inflammation due to the UTI). They didn't find anything else of concern.

I got one of those Feliways sprays in preparation for those vet visits but not sure it did anything. Now I spray him with it to get him away from guests. We do usually put him in the basement for short term guests but don't if we have a weekend visitor.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll call his vet and see if she recommends anti anxiety medicine.

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he an indoor cat? You could let him go outside? My cat goes so crazy inside I just gave up keeping in him. He’s much improved now!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like Prozac is the cat med of choice. Maybe it would help.

Make sure you understand the history first. If the cat has really always been this way, then that largely rules out medical problems. If the cat has been this way for years, I'm not sure what else would help. My brother's cat was this way and he never solved it, although the cat mellowed some with age. Ask for the bfs families view on when it happens. Sometimes it can be traced to something, like seeing another cat out the window.

Make sure your vet is warned and ready for a cat like this, or gives you tranquilizers in advance. I still remember taking my gentle cat to the vet one time. Like idiots, they let a practice cat roam around, and when my cat got worked up after a close encounter, they through a towel on my cat AND VET BARELY LOOKED AT HIM, charging me for a full visit. Anyway, may point being, not all vets will do a full exam on a highly agitated cat, especially if they aren't ready for it.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At 14 he's a very senior kitty, think 75 in human yrs. Some of his behavior sounds like insecurity and at his age I wonder if there is some senility agression in there. Frendly in the morning and agressive later makes me think of sundowning. I've never used Feliway but it's meant to be sprayed at the cat.

When you have company it sounds like he's guarding his territory. Keeping an eye on the intruders. As Willowy said put him in a safe room when you have company. Try spraying his bed with the Feliway. There are also calming treats.

Cats generally don't display anger unless something has just happened to cause it. He's bonded with you and might see you as a playmate but doesn't know how to appropriately play with humans. This makes me think he learned young to use his hunt play towards people and has not learned differently. Is he still interested in playing? String toys, laser, fetch, big stuffed toy. Try playing when he's calm and keep him a little tired. Shake a stuffed toy and toss it so it looks alive.

Instead of petting him try a soft brush. Watch his body language. Some cats only want their head touched and the further towards the back you go the more over stimulated they get.

I've had cats into their late teens still learn so their is hope.