Cat Is A Terror!

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine has a cat who is a little bit of a handful. She doesn't like strangers but doesn't run away and hide, she will sit there and growl and hiss and swat. My friend's mother was there a short time ago and when the mom got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night the cat sat in front of the bedroom door and wouldn't let the mother back in the room. The cat is usually fairly good with the owner, but has occasionally attacked her legs. The cat has also started peeing inappropriately (medical reasons have been ruled out). The cat is an 8 year old female.

I will try to make a long story short - brother has cancer and will be starting treatment in a couple of weeks, mom is going to come and stay with my friend to be closer to brother (who lives in the building next door from friend) but cat is crazy and mom is afraid of cat and friend is losing patience and is considering euthanizing the cat. Friend acknowledges that the cat is likely just scared but doesn't know what else to do, the brother has to come first.

I have suggested the possibility that Prozac or another antidepressant might make a world of difference for this cat but since those medications can take 6-12 weeks to have any full effect timing is an issue. My friend reached out to rescue who suggested that the vet may be able to prescribe something with a more immediate effect, basically sedating the cat for a short time (a few weeks) while other medication has a chance to work or until the mother leaves.

Friend's vet is not particularly helpful, mind you she doesn't have a relationship with the vet because the cat doesn't go to the vet often because the cat is crazy (and even the vet is afraid of her). I am going to my vet this weekend with my cat and we have a good relationship and I was going to try to pick her brain but I am wondering if anyone here has a suggestion.

I am unable to take the cat temporarily because I have 6 cats of my own and cat does NOT like other cats so she would have to be locked in a bedroom alone and that would likely cause more harm than good.

I am hoping we can find a way to give this cat a chance. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Note, friend has had cat since the cat was a kitten. Cat was ok at first but developed these behaviours within a couple of months. Cat is spayed and UTD on shots.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if the current stress in the home is making kitty's stress worse, thus adding to her aggressive behaviour?

Would they be able to confine the cat to one area of the home? Have they tried Feliway? Or calming treats/collars? Was the cat possibly a feral kitten? Is she the only pet?

I'll post links to some TCS articles that might be helpful. Hopefully some other members will reply as well.

Cat Aggression Toward People
Why Do Cats Attack?

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rubysmama,

She may have been feral but was brought in at about 2 months old. She was very young. She is the only pet in the home, but there used to be two dogs who she did well with. However, the aggressive behaviour isn't new and isn't related to the current circumstances. When she was first brought in as a kitten she was ok, but started behaving this way a couple of months after coming in - so it has been a good 7 years.

Tried Feliway, calming treats and food.

They live in an apartment, on the 4th or 5th floor so it is unlikely it is redirected aggression. She doesn't sit at windows.
Since it has been going on so long it is unlikely it is pain induced aggression. It also isn't over stimulation or illness (she did get her into the vet where they sedated her so she could be examined). She doesn't go outside so it isn't rabies or anything like that.

My friend lives alone, there are no small children and rarely visitors. She is quiet, her neighbours are quiet. It is not a stressful home. They haven't moved recently and aside from the brother's recent diagnosis there hasn't been any major stress. But again, this has been going on for over 7 years!

One of the articles you linked says "However, an attack on a complete stranger is more worrying. Even cats who are afraid of strangers tend to stay away rather than attack. You’ll need to carefully investigate what happened. More often than not, you’ll find that the cat was cornered in some way, possibly picked up by a stranger against her will. This can cause a cat to panic and lash out."

This is one of the troubling things. She doesn't run away or hide when she is scared, she stays and hisses. She isn't cornered, she has ample space to move away or run but she seems to be missing the Flight part of "Flight or Fight".

What we are left with is anti-anxiety drugs which my friend is willing to try, but then the problem goes back to - they take several weeks to have a full effect and we don't have that kind of time, so . . . .maybe something to sedate her while it kicks in?

I have a lot of experience with cats, I also have a lot of cats. I have been scratched and bit a lot. This cat is clearly anxious or afraid of something but choosing to stay and fight when there is ample opportunity to escape is strange behaviour. I have met the cat on multiple occasions over many years, I have sat on the floor and ignored her and she sits there and growls at me until I leave. She is just a mean old cat! But her momma loves her so we need to find a way to make this work.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They can't confine the cat. There are two bedrooms and the mom will be in one and the friend in the other. If they tried to lock the cat in the friend's bedroom I think all hell would break loose.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
They should consider purchasing a large two story kennel that gives the cat plenty of room to eat, sleep and move around. They may not need it indefinitely because the cat may relax once it is familiar with the new place and people.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother and his husband had a cat just like this until very recently. It entertained my wife no end that the cat would growl if you merely looked at it and stop if you looked away. Some hidden personality flaw...of the wife. Anyway... My brother and his partner are nice and quiet, but I feel like they never took the time to try make a real try at behavioral modification. And maybe just didn't have the confidence, patience, skills ot time to pull it off. For whatever reason, your friend is the same. I think you sort of have to be realistic and realize that, after a period of years, the friend just isn't going to be able or willing to implement a behavior modification program. If there was even time, which it sounds like there isn't. However, it is still possible the brother with cancer could come in with a pocketful of treats, the right approach and maybe get the cat to include him in the don't hate & attack on sight category. I guess it depends on how sick the brother is & how willing he is to tackle this.

Anyway, this is what I would probably try: prozac plus the brother being trained how to deal with a cat like this. I think the most important thing is spending quiet time around the cat, not trying to force interaction, but having treats and giving them during the rare times when the cat seems to want to interact. If growled at, just stop. If the brother is going to be in the house a lot, it may not take that long to gain the cat's trust, to the extent your friend has it anyway. Sedation could be a fallback.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The brother isn't the problem, it is the 80 year old mom that is coming to stay.

I can say that I have tried giving the cat treats, she doesn't want them. She just sits there and growls at me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brother isn't the problem, it is the 80 year old mom that is coming to stay.

I can say that I have tried giving the cat treats, she doesn't want them. She just sits there and growls at me.
I had some limited success with my brother's similar cat by sitting quietly and not trying. IF the cat decided to come over, I would do the minimum--put hand out for head buts for example, and then just stop if he changed his mind and growled. Its too bad the cat doesn't like treats, but I think its mostly about patience.

You might be right that its too risky for the 80 year old mom without sedation. Sad if so, but it might be needed.

By the way, my brother eventually ended up giving the cat to a no kill shelter. Some will take a cat with this temperment. And some cat lovers will attempt a rehabilitation project.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we may have a working hypothesis. Feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

At least it is something to take to the vet. Now we just need to figure out how to keep her in her home until the medication can take effect.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we may have a working hypothesis. Feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

At least it is something to take to the vet. Now we just need to figure out how to keep her in her home until the medication can take effect.
Are you seeing the muscle twitching/rippling?